Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2005, 10:02 AM

Default Unamerican

While I am not a fan of the current administration, I do believe that at least a few of the President's more controversial judicial nominees have unfairly gotten a bad rap.

That having been said, this kind of crap sickens me.

Frist to Say Democrats Eat Their Young
Old 04-15-2005, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Unamerican

Considering that the organizations pushing to block all nominees are the anti-religious groups, why shouldn't pro-religious groups be involved?

If courts didn't make bad rulings like the 9th Circuit pledge case, religious groups would not care much about the courts. But when they get attacked, they fight back.

Much of the recent activity of the religious right is due to the use of the courts by the left to attack religion. Actions have consequences, if you attack people, they fight back.

I'm an atheist, but I have no problem with religious involvement in politics, precisely because it has been primarily reactive after the fact, when courts were used to implement policy instead of using legislatures to enact policy.

People forget that religious groups stayed away from politics before the 1970's, before the courts were so aggressively anti-religion. The left perhaps regrets enticing the religious groups into the battle.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:40 AM

Skimmed the article didnt see a thing outlandish or radical about anything the conservatives were saying...did I miss something?
Old 04-15-2005, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Skimmed the article didnt see a thing outlandish or radical about anything the conservatives were saying...did I miss something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's start with the idea that they are portraying Democrats as "people against faith". Both republicans and democrats should be offended with the idea that the freakin senate majority leader is endorsing such a position.

There's nothing wrong with religious folks mobilizing for a say in politics. There is something wrong when the senate majority leader endorses "faith in Christ" -- as the poster (linked to the article) says -- as a valid consideration in approving or rejecting a judicial nominee.

Add this to the recent comments of Mr. DeLay and another (R) senator whose name escapes me, in which they all but justified violence against judges that issued rulings with which they disagreed.

And the whole notion that one cannot both believe in Christ, or whatever religion one chooses (or no religion at all), while at the same time enter into public service -- which again is what the poster says -- is also ridiculous.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Considering that the organizations pushing to block all nominees are the anti-religious groups, why shouldn't pro-religious groups be involved?

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? What's an "anti-religious" group?
Old 04-15-2005, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Much of the recent activity of the religious right is due to the use of the courts by the left to attack religion. Actions have consequences, if you attack people, they fight back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Inaccurate. Nobody is "attacking religion". Nobody is saying or has ever said "El Barto, you cannot believe 'X'".

One could easily and reasonably say that such claims seek to protect those in the minority from the government's endorsement of a particular religion over other religions or no religion at all. "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof . . . ."

[ QUOTE ]
before the courts were so aggressively anti-religion

[/ QUOTE ]

Jaxmike, get away from El Barto's computer.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is something wrong when the senate majority leader endorses "faith in Christ" -- as a valid consideration in approving or rejecting a judicial nominee.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing wrong with considering a person's faith in choosing them. If we only allow non-faith judges, then we will have a biased judiciary. A large number of the current judiciary is appointed by Clinton, it is not like there are 100% Jesus-lovers on the courts.

[ QUOTE ]
Add this to the recent comments of Mr. DeLay and another (R) senator whose name escapes me, in which they all but justified violence against judges that issued rulings with which they disagreed.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a deliberate misinterpretation of DeLay's remarks. He never advocated violence.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is something wrong when the senate majority leader endorses "faith in Christ" -- as a valid consideration in approving or rejecting a judicial nominee.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing wrong with considering a person's faith in choosing them. If we only allow non-faith judges, then we will have a biased judiciary. A large number of the current judiciary is appointed by Clinton, it is not like there are 100% Jesus-lovers on the courts.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a deliberate misinterpretation of DeLay's remarks. He never advocated violence.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. There is when it's "faith in Christ".

2. Re-read the post. Or maybe read it. It doesn't say DeLay advocated violence. It says he justified it. Big difference but still reprehensible from the ethically-challenged house majority leader.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No judges at all that believe in Jesus? Talk about a fundamentally biased court system. Why are you so hot to discriminate against large segments of our population?

[ QUOTE ]

2. Re-read the post. Or maybe read it. It doesn't say DeLay advocated violence. It says he justified it. Big difference but still reprehensible from the ethically-challenged house majority leader.

[/ QUOTE ]

He never justified violence either. He pointed out, correctly, that bad judicial decisions can lead people to violence. DeLay works within the system to correct judicial mistakes, that is why he is in Congress.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No judges at all that believe in Jesus? Talk about a fundamentally biased court system. Why are you so hot to discriminate against large segments of our population?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, I stand corrected. If we don't use "faith in Christ" as a criteria in selecting judges, there won't be a single Christian judge.

Try again. I know you will.