Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2005, 11:05 PM

Default When to Slowplay Top Pair Out of Position heads Up

I have this feeling that I leak money when heads up on the flop and I have top pair. I feel I am too predictable in betting top pair, especially when even a ghost of a draw presents itself. If I don't bet the flop, then I almost certainly don't have top pair (unless I am slowplaying two pair). Of course, betting the flop doesn't mean I have top pair.

I think the limit player in me is mortally afraid of ever giving a free card even though I know I should sometimes check to induce a bluff.

Any advice?
Old 04-15-2005, 12:45 AM

Default Re: When to Slowplay Top Pair Out of Position heads Up

You'll probably get better advice if you post a couple example hands. Or else the answer is "It depends." Obviously one factor is what top pair is. With an ace, it's easier to check because you'll still have top pair on the turn. It top pair is a J or Q, you have to worry about the A or K hitting.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:00 AM

Well, the point is, I'm trying to figure out when it depends. But for the sake of argument, here are a few hypotheticals. Assume that I am in late middle position, I open with a standard raise (because I never open limp from that position), and get called by the button. Tell what, if anything, you would do differently, if it is opened by a player in the cutoff and I am in the big blind (note that calling in the big blind may be the wrong play).

Against what sorts of players would you consider slowplaying in these cases.

1. I have K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and the flop is K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

2. I have K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and the flop is K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

3. I have K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and the flop is Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

4. I have K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and the flop is K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

5. I have K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and the flop is K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

6. I have A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and the flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

7. I have A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and the flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

8. I have A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and the flop is K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

9. I have A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and the flop is Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

10. I have K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and the flop is K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2005, 03:47 AM

As a general rule, I would not slow play any of those, except maybe #10, unless its a very tricky table. that is, build an aggressive image and use it to your advantage (for the times where you raise with TT and the flop comes an Ace, and you bet at it).