Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Overplayed AQo

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.33 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Is this flop cap standard? Whats my line if he bets into me on the turn?
Old 04-14-2005, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Overplayed AQo

with no reads I would put MP1 on either a flopped set or a flushdraw. My money is on a flushdraw as a flopped set most likely would have raised this flop. so if a non-spade falls on the turn I would raise if MP1 bet into me and also if BB bet out and MP1 just calls. If I get threebet though i am out of there...

If a spade falls i would just call...
Old 04-14-2005, 06:43 PM

In clarkmeister spirit, I'm going to start replying (whether qualified or not...)

I think this is read dependent. Based on reads you may very well figure that your kicker is no good here. I think a cap is fine here to see if the turn drops a spade.

On the turn - it's not BB I'm worried about but MP1 - having limp/3 bet the flop (to me that stinks of set). Also, BB is just limping along here after your flop raise - meaning to me he's not thrilled with his hand any more (again read dependent).

If the turn is a non spade blank - I'm interested in what happens in front of you. If it's 2 bets to you on the turn then I let it go (is that really weak?). I'm not sure how I respond to 1 bet - I suppose if MP1 bets I probably raise here to see if I can fold BB - and fold to a 3 bet? (I don't feel like I'm very good evaluating this hand...)
Old 04-15-2005, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In clarkmeister spirit, I'm going to start replying (whether qualified or not...)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll do the same.

The flop raise is fine. When you get limp-3-bet like that the standard read is "set or flush draw". There's no real reason to cap there as you won't get out AK from the blind, but you will fold out hands drawing to 2 outs against you.

I prefer calling the limp 3-bet and on the turn you can decide whether you will raise or call (or maybe even bet) based on the turn card and the action that results.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's no real reason to cap there as you won't get out AK from the blind, but you will fold out hands drawing to 2 outs against you.

I prefer calling the limp 3-bet and on the turn you can decide whether you will raise or call (or maybe even bet) based on the turn card and the action that results.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-15-2005, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.33 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Is this flop cap standard? Whats my line if he bets into me on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a hand that you really want to show down. What is he 3-betting pf from the BB? AK-AQs. AA-TT. You are ahead of all but 2 of these. Raisng the flop may cause a hand that you beat to scram, but will only cost you money against a hand that has you crushed.

I know it is against the nature of many 2+2'ers to merely call, but calling down is not always weak and wimpy. In this case, I think it wins you the most and loses you the least.

EDIT: I missed that sneaky little prick who called/3-bet the flop. That is scary and even more reason not to cap the flop, as he'es either on a set or a [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] draw.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:21 AM

Reads on this might make things a little clearer. I don't have a problem with capping and would have done the same. You had a chance to face BB with 2 more cold and I think being HU on the turn would be a good thing.

On the turn I think I am calling any spade that falls, and if not bet into I would also check any turn spade. If we are not improved on the turn, we can fold if it is two bets to us. But I think we are stuck calling if bet into.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You had a chance to face BB with 2 more cold and I think being HU on the turn would be a good thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

What hand do you want the BB to fold?
Old 04-15-2005, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You had a chance to face BB with 2 more cold and I think being HU on the turn would be a good thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

What hand do you want the BB to fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah your right. Any hand he has that we beat, is pretty thoroughly dominated. I have to think these things through more. I do this during hands a lot too.