Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2005, 12:03 PM

Default Tuna steaks, how to cook

On my last grocery trip, I picked up some tuna steaks on a whim. Yeah, exciting times. I like to cook, but I have literally no experience with cooking fish. So hit me with some ideas, assume that I'm willing to spend up to an hour cooking/preparing, and I would go buy the spices you recommend. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Tuna steaks, how to cook

Rachael Ray says that you put olive oil on both sides, and on one side you completely coat it with cracked black pepper. Then you put them in a hot skillet for 2-3 minutes on each side so the outside is white, but the middle is still pink. Never actually tried it though.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:09 PM

If you know the fish is fresh, you dont even have to cook it. Make a Tartare...

Dice the tuna finely.
Add...
Mayonaise
Mustard
Sriracha Hot Sauce(Link)
Salt
Pepper
Sesame Seeds
Sesame Oil

Mix it all together...
Old 04-14-2005, 12:11 PM

Depends on how adventurous you want to get.

You could go the conservative route and just buy some out-of-the-bottle marinade, then cook the steaks over high heat until they're cooked all the way through.

If you like rare tuna, try this:

To do ~2 lbs of tuna, ake a marinade out of 1 cup soy sauce, 1 cup honey, and 1/4 cup wasabi powder. Let the fish marinate for a couple of hours. You may want to make a little extra of this marinade to use as a dipping sauce.

When ready to cook, oil the grill grate, and preheat the grill to high. Put some sesame seeds on a plate, and coat the tuna steaks. Then sear the edges of the fish. The outside should be seared and the inside as rare as you can stand it.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rachael Ray says that you put olive oil on both sides, and on one side you completely coat it with cracked black pepper. Then you put them in a hot skillet for 2-3 minutes on each side so the outside is white, but the middle is still pink. Never actually tried it though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure the frying pan is VERY hot, and when all sides of the tuna are brown, remove the fish. The whole process of searing the tuna should be very fast, basically you want only the outside of the tuna cooked and the entire inside raw.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:13 PM

Well just like anything, you can go very simple or very complex. Try looking at www.allrecipies.com to find something you might like. My personal favourate though is simple: salt, pepper, a bit of minced garlic and a splash of good olive oil. On the grill or in a pan on high heat for 30 seconds a side, no longer.

-Diplomat
Old 04-14-2005, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd want to be pretty sure about the quality of the tuna before I tried this, and I'd probably want to use the tuna as quickly as possible to do this. But if you can pull this off, it will be a tasty meal. Tuna seared on the outside while mostly raw but warm inside is fantastic. Get that skillet hot (I think cast iron would work well here).
Old 04-14-2005, 12:16 PM

nah, you don't need an hour to prep those things and cooking 'em is real simple.

Just coat w/olive oil, cover in salt and pepper, (white if you got it) get a medium flame and grill all sides until like a grayish hue. Keep the middle rare and you're done.

Also, I've covered in coriander, black pepper, and a few cloves. Just remember to coat in oil so that a the fish won't dry out on the heat.

Enjoy. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2005, 12:19 PM

First : Congratulations! Tuna Rocks!!! Eat more of it (and not the canned crap).
I'm assuming you've got Ahi (yellowfin / the pink stuff). If so all above suggestions are great if the Tuna is FRESH and of good quality.
If you are in Kansas or some other very landlocked state where "fresh fish" means we froze it to get it here and now that we've thawed it, its for sale, then I would not go the searing route... prep is about the same though - some olive oil, little salt, cracked pepper, possibly garlic. Cook on a grill (I learned earliler today from OOT that its a grill not a BBQ - thank you OOT!) on med/low for about 6 - 8 minutes each side (do first side 6mins). Middle should still be just slightly pinkish rest will turn more white.

Good Luck and Enjoy!
FishNChips

ps... a nice beer to go with it is an absolute must!
Old 04-14-2005, 12:29 PM

didnt someone already mention something about not being able to tuna fish...