Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2005, 08:19 AM

Default Correct?

UTG is pretty loose/passive. Button is tighter (~20 vpip). Reads from gt+.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (5.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Button calls.
First of all, is betting the flop correct? The board is very coordinated, many limping hands contains J's and I have no kicker. Since I couldn't expect a bet from a late postion I decided to bet.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, Button calls.
Easy bet.

River: (7.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, Button checks.
Well, what hands am I ahead of here? Check/calling seems best. Can't expect many calls from weaker hands and since there are a risk of getting bluffed when the board paired I decided to check/call.

Final Pot: 7.25 BB
Old 04-14-2005, 08:23 AM

Default Re: Correct?

Even though you can't expect a bet I'm still going for the c/r on that flop. If the bet comes from MP and there's a call, then I think I'd call and bet that turn(?)
Old 04-14-2005, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Even though you can't expect a bet I'm still going for the c/r on that flop. If the bet comes from MP and there's a call, then I think I'd call and bet that turn(?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to agree here, a well executed c/r here might fold out some over cards who would see a turn for one more, I doubt it will get check through. You can then safely lead when a turn blank falls, like it did, or if a danger card falls I would think you can check to see what happens and generall let go without feeling too bad about it.

On the river I like the check call, but my river play can be a bit weak at times, so I'm interested to hear other perspectives.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:23 AM

The only thing I know for sure is I check the flop. What I do after that just depends on what happens after that.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, what hands am I ahead of here?

[/ QUOTE ]
A lot!!

[ QUOTE ]
Check/calling seems best.

[/ QUOTE ]
Check/calling seems weak passive on this LAG forum! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Can't expect many calls from weaker hands and since there are a risk of getting bluffed when the board paired I decided to check/call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not really worried about a bluff here for two reasons: relative position and the size of the pot.

First - relative position. You've got a LP next to act after you bet the river. This player will call with a wide range of hands that you are ahead of at this point and that takes away any bluffing opportunity from the button (if the button raises a bettor and a caller it's a pretty safe fold for you).

Second - the pot size. If the LP does fold and button also missed his hand I wouldn't worry about being bluffed in this spot by the button because of the size of the pot. He'd be putting in 2 bets to win 8 and you've been in the lead the whole time. I don't think a tight player would consider this a +EV opportunity to get cute.

So I think it's a pretty safe line to bet and fold to a raise. I think many times you will win uncontested. Some times you will win while squeezing out an extra bet from the LP. Some times you will end up folding to a raise. And a couple times (can't forget these! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) the LP will call and turn over the nut straight. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2005, 09:28 AM

Don't lead the flop.

There are several players behind you. Check and see how the action develops behind you.

Adam
Old 04-14-2005, 09:48 AM

I'd never lead this flop. Kinda like putting your toe out onto the highway, and hoping the cars stop so you can get across. But more often than not, you'll get run over.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:53 AM

I would have checked the flop with the intention of folding to an early bet and check-raising a late bet
Old 04-14-2005, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG is pretty loose/passive. Button is tighter (~20 vpip). Reads from gt+.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (5.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Button calls.
First of all, is betting the flop correct? The board is very coordinated, many limping hands contains J's and I have no kicker. Since I couldn't expect a bet from a late postion I decided to bet.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, Button calls.
Easy bet.

River: (7.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, Button checks.
Well, what hands am I ahead of here? Check/calling seems best. Can't expect many calls from weaker hands and since there are a risk of getting bluffed when the board paired I decided to check/call.

Final Pot: 7.25 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

I check this flop, hoping it gets bet and raised so that I can fold.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I check this flop, hoping it gets bet and raised so that I can fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Adam