Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 08:05 PM

Default I take this line alot....Good?..Bad?...Terrible?

They all love to bet out here to test their Ace(at least this is what I always assume) Expecting me to 3-bet the flop so they can safely fold. Do you agree with my assumptions and the way I play the hand?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.16 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (5.16 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 9.16 BB
Old 04-13-2005, 08:08 PM

Default Re: I take this line alot....Good?..Bad?...Terrible?

daddy likey
Old 04-13-2005, 08:12 PM

Nice hand. I think I would've raised the turn in case he was betting his spade draw and he won't call the river raise if he misses.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice hand. I think I would've raised the turn in case he was betting his spade draw and he won't call the river raise if he misses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

But with a read that he is always aggressive until met with resistance, this line is okay.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:19 PM

this is discussed in HOFAP (hold em for advanced players)

it says to take this line because it also scares the player with 2 two pair or even a set into just calling because it would be scraed of a monster...

and when they 3-bet you can easily fold
Old 04-13-2005, 09:23 PM

Hmmm.

I'm assuming that you feel you're ahead on the flop, but remember that you've already tickled the pot once with your PF raise. BB bets into you anyways on a flop with an ace; I see a few possibilities, not all of which have you ahead of the game.

I guess I'm a bit skittish of the spade draw and the sets, and I raise the turn partly to punish drawers with bad odds but mostly to gain information. A three-bet on the turn lets me call all the way down. Plus, many players who have little or nothing will just check/call the river, at which point you lose 1 BB. I find I get a bit more play out of a turn raise than a river raise.

How do you respond to a reraise on the river? It's really hard to know what that means, and you'll probably have to pay off the A9 or 44 there.

I guess I see your point, and your line works for me if you THINK your aces/queen kicker will hold up on the river. I just don't feel abundantly confident on this flop, and I probably want to throw my weight around a bit to try and drive him off or beat him up.

Maybe I'm just off my rocker, though. Like I said, I think your play is fine; I'd just play it differently (raise the turn).
Old 04-13-2005, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you raise the turn, he calls with his spade draw and checks to you on the river then folds if he misses. You get 2 BB out of this. If you don't raise the turn, he still bluffs out with a missed spade draw and folds to a river raise. You get 2 BB out of this.

The difference is that a lot of weaker hands that would call a river raise, often won't call a river bet after a turn raise.

To figure out which play is correct you'd have to know how likely this opponent is to fold to a river bet after a turn raise, how often he's on a flush draw here, as opposed to how often he's on a weak ace here. Without this information I lean towards waiting until the river to raise.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:41 PM

Good points about the flush draw in this particular case. Honestly though I really don't consider it to much which may be a big mistake on my part. #1 What are the odds that a lone opponent calling out of the BB hits a flush draw. #2 They barely have odds to call a draw let alone the equity to pump it HU. Not that many players will even consider these facts which is ignorance on my part. Giving more credit than I should.

Really this is just a variation of the C/call, C/call, Bet line. With C/call you don't have position and here you do, but you achieve the same thing...I Think? Win the most when ahead and lose the least when behind. Folding to a 3-bet on the river is read dependant of course. FWIW I can't remember getting 3-bet in this situation (I must have at least once or twice) and I use this line alot. As an example Villian took this hand down with 97o and didn't three bet the river..go figure.

Now you see one reason why I posted it. Even if he had the weak Ace I first assumed (as I usually do) am I being foolish allowing him to hit his three outter. I feel the pot is small that it isn't a disaster, but wanted your opinions.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:11 PM

I dig it.... though a turn raise would also allow me to dig said hand.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:15 PM

I usually raise the turn in instances like these. I hate the feeling of giving up so many cheap cards that could beat me.

Discuss....

Adam