Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2005, 11:02 PM

Default Anyone worried about this hurting your ROI ?

There is now software to work on your NL tournament play. I actually own this. I bought it last year when it was only geared toward limit. Now they NL and tournament play. I played two tourneys on it last night. I killed the first tourney. Then I changed the bots a little and it killed me the 2nd time. There is also an advisor. Although, I have to admit to going against the advisor a few times. I think you can even adjust the advisor so that it coincides more with your style of play but I haven't found that option yet nor have I looked for it, though. It's at poki-poker.com if you want to look at it. It has a nice hand Evaluator that I might use online if I'm quick enough with it. It tells you the probability of you having the best hand with N opponents seeing the flop.

Two guys on the forum over there have claimed that they made a bot better than Vexbot. They claim that it can actually play very good poker 5 and 6 handed. They say it still can't play a 10 handed game, though because it uses opponent modeling and the neural networks to do that are way too big for a regular PC yet or something.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:05 PM

Default Re: Anyone worried about this hurting your ROI ?

Im convinced that the program was responsible for your initial success and your tinkering was responsible for your consequent failure.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:07 PM

What ??? What the hell are you talking about ?
Old 04-11-2005, 11:09 PM

This sounds more like a fish farming tool then a pro-creating (get it?) one to me.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:11 PM

If you mean Texas calculatem it's ok for odds but if you take it anywhere near a party SnG the advice will kill you. "knowledgeable" fish using this software in a Party format will only improve my ROI IMHO
Old 04-11-2005, 11:28 PM

1. You say "I played two tourneys on it last night. I killed the first tourney. Then I changed the bots a little and it killed me the 2nd time."

2. I reply "Im convinced that the program was responsible for your initial success and your tinkering was responsible for your consequent failure."

Connecting the dots isn't rocket science.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:31 PM

i guarantee anybody that can destroy the party sngs wont make a program with an advisor that tells you how to do it. i hope everyone buys that program because it will probably advice super tight on the bubble to sneak into the money. holla
Old 04-12-2005, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i guarantee anybody that can destroy the party sngs wont make a program with an advisor that tells you how to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't be so quick to make that guarantee. The people behind the poki program are the UAlberta team, who pretty much unequivocally are on the cutting edge of pokerbot AI. Their work is very impressive so far and getting better every year. Aside from the fact that they are academics and may have motives beyond profit, if their NL AI program was good enough to sell 10k copies per year at $100 apiece, that's a variance free $500k/yr (say, per co-author). That doesn't seem an unrealistic estimate with multi-millions of enthusiast to pro NL players these days.

Given the choice between playing for 15% ROI in the $215s or a variance free $500k per year to write/maintain/improve the program, I'd take the latter in a heartbeat. I think you'd be nuts not to.

eastbay
Old 04-12-2005, 12:14 AM

learn to play yourself?
Old 04-12-2005, 12:23 AM

I might tell you if I was worried about it, if you told us WTF you are talking about.