Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2005, 06:08 PM

Default Good move or bad?

I've only been at the table for about 2 orbits and its been tighter than a gnat's arse. Not a single hand has been shown down and only about 60% of hands are even getting to the flop. CO has been raising any time he's in late-ish position and nobody is showing interest in the pot.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (9 handed) converter

SB ($183.55)
BB ($203.75)
UTG ($200)
UTG+1 ($156.55)
MP1 ($168.25)
MP2 ($200)
MP3 ($188.95)
CO ($239.45)
Hero ($210.2)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls $2, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls $2, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls $2, CO calls $2, Hero calls $2, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($14) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $30</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds.

Final Pot: $54
Old 04-11-2005, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Good move or bad?

nh
Old 04-11-2005, 06:19 PM

Fine. If it was checked to you, you would have bet at it, right?
Old 04-11-2005, 06:21 PM

Absolutely, but raising is a lot different from betting. I don't generally do this without a better read than I can get in 2 orbits but I'm wondering if its a good play in a more general sense.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:35 PM

I think you played the hand very well, considering the outcome, but what do you do if he calls your bet and a blank falls on the turn. Or if he re-raises you.

Comments from anyone?
Old 04-11-2005, 07:40 PM

If he reraises, I fold (unless its a minreraise, then I might call). If the blank isn't a K, 8, or club, I check behind or fold if bet into. If its a K or 8, I bet/raise and, if its a club, I check behind if he checks and push if he bets.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:59 PM

Nice hand

As a very general rule raising in this pot with so many players having limped and a bet infront with just 2nd pair, an overcard and a backdoor draw is a bad idea. Someone may well be slowplaying expecting a raise behind and if so you're in real trouble. However given your reads on the table its a excellent move. Not only does it give you a very good chance of taking the pot but it keeps the CO in line which could give you free cards later in the session when you have a draw. It may also losen the table up a little but then that kind of thing can go either way.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:09 PM

Nice post. I don't completely agree about the argument of not doing it because somebody could be slowplaying a monster. Somebody could always be slowplaying a monster (unless, of course, you flop the nuts). My raise ought to knock out any one pair hands, though (except possibly the original bettor's) and, if the original bettor is on a draw or pure bluff, I'm in great shape (whereas a call might induce another person with TPNK to overcall). If somebody does call the bet+raise, I can be confident they have a very strong hand (this is not always true at lower limits but seems to be the case more often than not in the 1/2 Party game).

Great point about the metagame standpoint (keeping CO in line), too; I hadn't really thought of that at the time.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:50 PM

This is pretty standard for me, especially since a bet from the CO could be pre-emptively trying to steal the pot.

It helps that you have backdoor outs as well.

nh

The Doc
Old 04-11-2005, 09:20 PM

well you cant call and you cant fold. nice raise.