Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2005, 05:14 PM

Default First, Do No Harm.

last wednesday, i left straight from work to a poker tournament my wife and i play at each week. about an hour into it, my mom, who is babysitting, calls and tells me my youngest daughter(just turned 1) has not stopped screaming since she woke up from a nap just after my wife had left.

so, since my wife had about twice the chip stack i had(dumb luck), i volunteered to go home to see if i could get her calmed down.

when i got there, she was still crying, and just wouldn't stop. mom had mentioned she had tugged at her ear a couple times, but there was no fever. and for the previous 2-3 days, my other 3 daughters had passed around an upset stomach that resulted in a bit of vomitting. not knowing which was bothering the youngster, i called her doctor at home. he said to take her to the "fast track" at the hospital emergency room. if she had an ear infection, he wanted the antibiotics started immediately.

so, off i go. we get registered in and all, and by that time, the wee one calmed down considerably, and seemed OK. the nurse proceeded to get all the necessaries...blood pressure, heart rate, etc...which made my daughter cry some more. "next", says the nurse, "we need to get her temperature with an anal thermometer." i asked why it was necessary, and she told me that it was more accurate than other means of getting a child's temperature. "thanks, but no thanks" i said. we'll wait until morning to go to her doctor. he's never shoved anything up her ass. so, i left right then.

now, it may very well be more accurate to get a temp that way, but is 1/2 a degree off accurate going to change any doctor's diagnosis? when my triplets were born, they were in intensive care for the first 10 days of their lives, and no doctor ever stuck a foreign object in their butts. they had constant temperature monitoring by something they stuck on their foreheads. they also taught me to take their temperature at home using a thermometer under the arm. there is also a device that takes a temperature immediately from the inner ear. any of these could have been used with very little discomfort, not to mention it was quite obvious by touching her forehead that she did not have a fever.

all i wanted to know is did she have an ear infection. i couldn't see how inserting something in the poor girl's ass had any bearing on that. was i wrong for leaving, or did i do right by protecting her? <font color="white">BTW, she did not have an ear infection, nor did she have an upset stomach. she had a pebble/small rock in her shoe. </font>

cheers!
Old 04-11-2005, 05:21 PM

Default Re: First, Do No Harm.

I don't really see what you were protecting her from unless you think the nurse was going to be getting off on putting the thermometer up her ass. That being said it does seem a bit strange.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:35 PM

Are you serious? Not exactly responsible parenting.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:39 PM

Taking a child's temperature by rectal thermometer is not uncommon.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:43 PM

Is this summary correct? You took you child to the hospital for good reason, the nurse wanted to take her temperature rectally, and then you decided to leave and postpone her medical attention until the next morning?

Are you insane?

There's nothing wrong with taking a temperature rectally. You've got issues.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
last wednesday, i left straight from work to a poker tournament my wife and i play at each week. about an hour into it, my mom, who is babysitting, calls and tells me my youngest daughter(just turned 1) has not stopped screaming since she woke up from a nap just after my wife had left.

so, since my wife had about twice the chip stack i had(dumb luck), i volunteered to go home to see if i could get her calmed down.

when i got there, she was still crying, and just wouldn't stop. mom had mentioned she had tugged at her ear a couple times, but there was no fever. and for the previous 2-3 days, my other 3 daughters had passed around an upset stomach that resulted in a bit of vomitting. not knowing which was bothering the youngster, i called her doctor at home. he said to take her to the "fast track" at the hospital emergency room. if she had an ear infection, he wanted the antibiotics started immediately.

so, off i go. we get registered in and all, and by that time, the wee one calmed down considerably, and seemed OK. the nurse proceeded to get all the necessaries...blood pressure, heart rate, etc...which made my daughter cry some more. "next", says the nurse, "we need to get her temperature with an anal thermometer." i asked why it was necessary, and she told me that it was more accurate than other means of getting a child's temperature. "thanks, but no thanks" i said. we'll wait until morning to go to her doctor. he's never shoved anything up her ass. so, i left right then.

now, it may very well be more accurate to get a temp that way, but is 1/2 a degree off accurate going to change any doctor's diagnosis? when my triplets were born, they were in intensive care for the first 10 days of their lives, and no doctor ever stuck a foreign object in their butts. they had constant temperature monitoring by something they stuck on their foreheads. they also taught me to take their temperature at home using a thermometer under the arm. there is also a device that takes a temperature immediately from the inner ear. any of these could have been used with very little discomfort, not to mention it was quite obvious by touching her forehead that she did not have a fever.

all i wanted to know is did she have an ear infection. i couldn't see how inserting something in the poor girl's ass had any bearing on that. was i wrong for leaving, or did i do right by protecting her? <font color="white">BTW, she did not have an ear infection, nor did she have an upset stomach. she had a pebble/small rock in her shoe. </font>

cheers!

[/ QUOTE ]

you do know what response is coming soon? just warning...

You know what I think? You want to be the only one who gets to stick something in your daughter's rectum and you let your jealousy cloud your judgement.

i've been through ear infections before, and was almost certain this was not one. kids pull their ears for lots of reasons, and when there is an infection, there is almost always a fever.

cheers!
Old 04-11-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Taking a child's temperature by rectal thermometer is not uncommon.

[/ QUOTE ]

i am aware of this, i just don't understand why it is. if an ear thermometr is good enough for a family doctor, why isn't it for a hospital? if a stick on probe thingy is good enough for a newborn intensive care unit, why isn't it good enough for a non-emergency section of an emergency room?

cheers!
Old 04-11-2005, 05:51 PM

I'm not entirely sure what you were "protecting" the kid from. First, she's certainly not old enough to be as uncomfortable with the idea as her father is. Second, this is a medical professional we're talking about here, and your own doctor told you to take her here. There's a reason they're doing the job and you (and most of us) aren't, and that's because they know what they're doing.

Doc wanted to see what was going on and said to get it on antibiotics right away if it was an ear infection. Taking the child's temperature is going to be part of the diagnosis.

Where did you get your medical degree from? Sorry to come off like an ass, but I really have no idea what you were so worried about.