Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Man arrested for using $2 bill at Best Buy

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/loc...olesker08mar08,1,76004.column?coll=bal-local-columnists&ctrack=4&cset=true
Use this to read original
http://www.bugmenot.com/

(article requires registration; use login bselig@dodgeit.com/bselig - thanks, bugmenot)

Mike Bolesta of Baltimore, MD, knew that paying his $114 installation charge to Best Buy in only $2 bills would cause a small stir, but he didn't think it would cause him to be arrested.

Humiliating," the 57-year old Bolesta was saying now. "I am 6 feet 5 inches tall, and I felt like 8 inches high. To be handcuffed, to have all those people looking on, to be cuffed to a pole -- and to know you haven't done anything wrong. And me, with a brother, Joe, who spent 33 years on the city police force. It was humiliating."

After buying a stereo, finding that it would not work, having a new stereo model installed, and being told that he did not have to pay an installation fee, Bolesta was contacted by the store, and was threated with police action if he did not pay the fee he was told before did not exist. As a sign of protest, Bolesta decided to pay using only $2 bills, which he has an abundance of because he asks his bank for them specifically.

Unfortunately for him, the cashier did not seem to understand that the $2 bill is indeed legal US tender, since the bill itself is not often used. After rudely refusing to take the money, the cashier accepted the bills, only to mark them as though they were conterfeit. Supposedly, the suspicion of counterfeit was due to a smearing of the ink on the bill, but Secret Service agent Leigh Turner stated to the police that the bills were indeed legitimate, adding that "Sometimes ink on money can smear."

Perhaps the most galling aspect of this story is not the fact that it happened, or even the treatment that Mr. Bolesta endured, but the rationale used to explain the incident away, as stated by Baltimore County police spokesman Bill Toohey: "It's a sign that we're all a little nervous in the post-9/11 world." The "post-9/11 world" hardly excuses shackling a citizen to a pole or placing him in leg irons merely on one person's ignorant suspicions. In fact, there is nothing that should ever excuse this kind of treatment.

At the very least, Bolesta's son now wishes to distance himself from $2 bills from now on. Apparently, he doesn't want to be labeled a counterfeiter, either.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Man arrested for using $2 bill at Best Buy

How [censored] stupid are the people at best buy? Not one person could tell the idiot clerk that $2 bills are real?
Old 04-10-2005, 01:44 PM

I used to be a Best Buy cashier, and I can fully attest to the sheer retardedness of Best Buy workers.

However, I'm tempted to say this is probably the case at all large electronics retail stores
Old 04-10-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How [censored] stupid are the people at best buy? Not one person could tell the idiot clerk that $2 bills are real?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dairy Queen wins
Old 04-10-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Have you already forgotten about 9/11?
Old 04-10-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, I'm tempted to say this is probably the case at all retail stores, period.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 04-10-2005, 02:04 PM

Location: They call Los Angeles the City of Angels. I didn\'t find it to be that exactly, but I\'ll allow as there are some nice folks there.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However, I'm tempted to say this is probably the case at all businesses, period.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 04-10-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Have you already forgotten about 9/11?

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, you forgot Poland.

Luckily, the guy got 6 free issues of Sports Illustrated or Entertainment Weekly to read during the pending lawsuit.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dairy Queen wins

[/ QUOTE ]

Are You making fun of Mark Cuban?

Old 04-10-2005, 03:11 PM

This reminds of the woman who tried to pay for her groceries with a $1,000,000 bill.