Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2005, 05:57 AM

Default Chose your own adventure

I think this was a good idea of David C's, I think it had been done before on mid/high board too, but here's a semi interesting hand: (haven't played much poker lately, so I'll post whatever I can get!)

Live 1/2. Game wasn't full, couldn't remember how many seats were open. Buy in is 100.

I have 170ish, UTG villain is relatively tight for a live game, (still would be moderately loose for a full online game) and he had doubled up so he has me covered. He makes it 10 preflop.

I have AK [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] OTB folded to me, first decision:
1. Fold
2. Call
3. Repop (and how much)

Why?

No reads on blinds, but they each have barely more then buy in. (So assume 110)
Old 04-10-2005, 06:11 AM

Default Re: Chose your own adventure

I would raise it to about 30. AK(especially s00ted) is one of the top 3 hands, and should be played accordingly. It is likely that you have him dominated here, or he could have 99-QQ, and could be playing scared throughout the hand.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:11 AM

I call here. You have position and a hand that could easily have him dominated. If you do flop an A, you can definetely get some bets out of him if he has AQ/AJ, and especially if he has QQ. Also, if you re-raise and he pushes, that just sucks.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I call here. You have position and a hand that could easily have him dominated. If you do flop an A, you can definetely get some bets out of him if he has AQ/AJ, and especially if he has QQ. Also, if you re-raise and he pushes, that just sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you aren't reraising because you fear a push, now thats just pathetic.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:29 AM

Not nearly enough information here to make a decision. Need to know about his agression level and his intelligence level (like, does he understand position)?
Old 04-10-2005, 06:35 AM

Is that what I said? Perhaps you should read the part of my post before that.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not nearly enough information here to make a decision. Need to know about his agression level and his intelligence level (like, does he understand position)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, you are right

No, he's a "tight" player but (i actually dont know, not enough to witness, but for the sake of this chose your own adventure, ill form a definitive read) seemed to open with the same hands from EP as LP and vica versa.

Aggression will auto bet flop heads up, he got the big stack with a big pair vs a fish. (but that is 50xbb stack...)
Old 04-10-2005, 07:07 AM

OK, because of the large opening raise (which is standard for live games) if you re-raise, you are essentially pot committed already. If he checks to you, you're going to have to bet strong no matter what basically and then it's just not going to be pretty unless he folds or unless you hit. I think against a 'tight' UTG raiser (even one who doesn't fully understand position) you should be more inclined to flat call, hope you hit, and go from there. If you don't hit, and he bets, then we have another question, but I would lean towards a fold, just can't count on ANY fold equity against KK-JJ and I'm not sure what % of the time he bets a missed AQ-AT. Does he even raise AJ/AT here?
Old 04-10-2005, 08:53 AM

I would fold or reraise here, never call unlesss the stacks are deeper giving odds to draw to a flush or straight.

OTB I vote raise. It will not commit you, and will help define your opponents hand. Make it 30 to go.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:08 AM

You said that he was somewhat loose/intelligent for you live game, so I would hesitate to re-pop as that pretty much defines your hand and you might have him fold AQ-AT. It will also be easier to extract value if you call and he plays his AQ-AT hard on a H high flop.
However, no raising does give both of you the chance to miss and he has right to the follow-up bet and unless you have a club draw attached to your overs, you really can't raise.

It's a pretty tough decision, but I feel that calling is more correct because he'll always follow up. And to those who said a re-raise PC's him, I disagree because a re-raise would only be about 25-30 and that's only like 1/6th of Bobbo's stack.