Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2005, 12:06 PM

Default Phone interviews..

I have a phone interview in a bit. This is only my second phone interview, my first being with an investment bank so I was asked a lot of techincal questions. I've heard that most phone interviews are weighted more towards weeding out candidates with personality type questions, does anybody have experience with phone interviews? What kinds of questions were you asked? The job is a financial analyst at an insurance company.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Phone interviews..

Yes. And i think that's right. They're just looking to save some $$ by not flying in people that are definitely not real prospects. The questions were all loosey-goosey, softballs like what are you looking for? what are your interests? why are you a good fit for this job? they give more detail about the position, etc. in one of my phone interviews i actually removed myself from the running. i just said, you know i dont think this is a good fit for me. just try to sound enthusiastic and halfway intelligent and you'll be fine. i think standing up and moving around some while talking helps to sound enthusiastic on the phone. maybe that's just my thing though.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:12 PM

I know they grade on like general demeanor and friendliness as well as content so.......keep that in mind.

My dad use to do ALOT of hiring of IT types for a big Company.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a phone interview in a bit. This is only my second phone interview, my first being with an investment bank so I was asked a lot of techincal questions. I've heard that most phone interviews are weighted more towards weeding out candidates with personality type questions, does anybody have experience with phone interviews? What kinds of questions were you asked? The job is a financial analyst at an insurance company.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would suggest dressing up like you would for an interveiw. Even though you are on the phone, I think being in that state of mind and feeling like it is an IRL interview helps you sound like you are actually a professional rather than someone sitting in boxers and a t-shirt playing poker all day.

I am leaving for an interveiw as we speak. Good luck on yours. Let us know how it goes.

/bd
Old 04-08-2005, 12:42 PM

In my experience you will get asked math/techincal questions over the phone. Here is what I got in my phone interview for my current job:

There are 10 pennies in a jar. 9 of the pennies are completely normal, but the tenth penny has 2 heads. You take a penny out at random, and flip it 5 times. All 5 come up heads. What is the chance it was the 2 headed penny?

[ QUOTE ]

I would suggest dressing up like you would for an interveiw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just go through the typical interview BS. They just want to make sure you're not a crazed psychopath who's going to kill everyone when you come in for a real interview.

i applied for a grocery store once when i was 17. it was a friday afternoon and me and my buddies had been drinking at my place since about noon. i was about 9 beers under when they decided to call me for a phone interview. i must not have said anything too ridiculous because i got the job. good luck with yours
Old 04-08-2005, 12:44 PM

They really asked you this crap?
Old 04-08-2005, 12:48 PM

off the top of my head, ~97.2%?
Old 04-08-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They really asked you this crap?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.