Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 10:53 PM

Default Is this a bad beat?

Sitting in a 30 person tourney. Level 3 blinds on Absolute. 8 players out so far.

I'm at 1200 chips. 3 limpers into pot and I have K/Q suited

Flop comes K/K/4

I go all in and get a caller who calls me. I'm thinking A/K called me. Nope - K/6 calls my all in. Needless to say the 6 comes on the river and I'm out in 21st.

Old 04-06-2005, 11:01 PM

Default Re: Is this a bad beat?

Considering he had 9 outs, it's still a tought beat. As far as punching the wall, terrible. Learn some self-control.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:03 PM

tough break...

punching the wall is no good though... it get's too expensive after awhile. Learn to throw [censored] out the window instead.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:03 PM

What were the blinds?

I hope you were short stacked since you just randomly pushed the flop...
Old 04-06-2005, 11:05 PM

Is there anything I should have done different. Check it on the flop. My hope was that someone would have K/x and call me with it. This was also at a $1 buy in for more info.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:07 PM

Blinds were 30/60. I was short stack at the table although not by a lot.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:06 AM

nah it's just a bad play/bad luck

maybe the blinds are gigantic but i can't see you open pushing with 12 bets

as far as how the cards came down, yeah, that's a bit rough.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:15 AM

wow, you really butchered this hand, huh?!?

Raise PF, let others catch some cards before going all-in. I really don't get why you are going AI on this flop - are you hoping that PPs will call? A little reverse psychology here? Or are you just trying to take the pot down now before someone catches a pair or makes a bluff?

Poorly played. I don't even care about the results. The only bad beat would be if the poor bastard with K6 DIDN'T win. Imagine that, someone goes AI on the flop with the case King and a queen kicker. Why would he do that? I'm glad the gods of poker gave this player a reprieve.

CSC
Old 04-07-2005, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wow, you really butchered this hand, huh?!?

Raise PF, let others catch some cards before going all-in. I really don't get why you are going AI on this flop - are you hoping that PPs will call? A little reverse psychology here? Or are you just trying to take the pot down now before someone catches a pair or makes a bluff?

Poorly played. I don't even care about the results. The only bad beat would be if the poor bastard with K6 DIDN'T win. Imagine that, someone goes AI on the flop with the case King and a queen kicker. Why would he do that? I'm glad the gods of poker gave this player a reprieve.

CSC

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, thanks for the advice - I am here to learn.
My thinking was as follows:

1. I could win the pot outright with that bet
2. Yes I was hoping the 2 other players had either PP's or K/smaller kicker. In either case I am a favorite am I not?

I did not raise preflop as I don't consider this to strong a hand. Having said this, I would have likely taken out the K/6 with a pre raise flop.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:48 AM

Yes, you can win the pot outright here, but just think how rarely you will be called AND how few outs your opponents have. Basically, any opponent with a PP is a threat, but a VERY small threat. Each one has an 8% shot AND you have a 7 out re-draw. If you don't feel comfortable giving people free cards, throw out a min bet. Personally, I like letting someone else bet here, no matter how long it takes for them to get the courage to do so.

Monster hands like these come around so rarely, you have to get the most out of them. I think your only likely callers to an AI bet are the Case king or PPs above 99. Given the PF action, I think all of these hands are very unlikely. I know you've heard "you have to take risks in tournies" but you have to know what kinds of risks are good to take. In my opinion, letting players draw to runner runner outs or to 2 outs is a risk worth taking if taking that risk can get any more of their chips into the pot.

And yes, KQ is a raising hand with 2 limpers in. You want FE (folding Equity) if you miss, and you want to eliminate those hard to see two pair hands made by a player who comes in with any two suited.

CSC