Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Conspiracy Theory or Plausible?

I found this site after reading a magazine article:

Peak Oil

What do you guys think?
Old 04-06-2005, 08:26 PM

Default Re: Conspiracy Theory or Plausible?

Do an archive search. This subject has been discussed ad nauseum.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I found this site after reading a magazine article:

Peak Oil

What do you guys think?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.
I have studied this phenomena (a university degree, no kidding). It is no conspiracy, it is just a vital part of how the dynamics of the world economy functions. Still more oil is found than used but there is an end to it and as it becomes more scarce the price will rise. It will on the other hand, never run dry as the future expected value of it will rise dramatically and therefore incent some companies to keep their reservoirs.

In case you haven't discovered (and it seems much of American opinion hasn't) this is the real reason for the Iraqi War (not WMD and terrorism bla bla bla). The American Economy will nearly collapse if the oil price rises too much and the Republican hawks felt a need to strengthen their control of it.

As to alternative energy sources, oil is still so relatively cheap but as the price rises more money will automatically pour into research of alternative sources.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is no conspiracy, it is just a vital part of how the dynamics of the world economy functions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no doubts that the problem exists. However, the author paints a picture of an unavoidable crisis of global proportions that will end with the US turning into the movie Mad Max. That's what sounded a little conspiracy theoryesque to me.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is no conspiracy, it is just a vital part of how the dynamics of the world economy functions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no doubts that the problem exists. However, the author paints a picture of an unavoidable crisis of global proportions that will end with the US turning into the movie Mad Max. That's what sounded a little conspiracy theoryesque to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hate to bring this to you but the current US economy and world supremacy is already over the peak (it is based on consumption and military spending that is not in line with production).

However there is 250 mill. people living there and they are not stupid and they will find other ways to make a living and utilize energy; so you will still have cars etc.

This is not something that happens in a short period of time. The rise in the oil price will provoke the transition when necessary (only unexpected supply disruptions can cause a collapse).
Old 04-06-2005, 09:59 PM

Peakoil fearmongers have one piece of information, namely that oil is depleting on us.

From there, they speculate wildly about how things will be without oil in the event that NOTHING ELSE changes whatsoever about our use and procurement of energy.

Peak oil is a problem. It's not going to cause a mad-max world. A recession, probably. Mad-max? No.

natedogg
Old 04-06-2005, 10:53 PM

Peak oil is a myth imo.

High prices usually bring the worst out in people.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From there, they speculate wildly about how things will be without oil in the event that NOTHING ELSE changes whatsoever about our use and procurement of energy.

[/ QUOTE ]

The one thing I found most worrying is this (and I'm probably not going to say this right, but I think you'll get it):

By the time we have to deal with the problem, the cost of "harvesting" other energy sources will be so high, because of the cost of the energy used in the process, that we still lose. Essentially, cost exceeding return.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:18 PM

The market will take care of it once this happens. It's self-correcting.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:20 PM

Jevron's Paradox seems scary if true.