Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 05:43 PM

Default Iraq war motivated by oil

No.. really?

Iraq war motivated by oil, says Blix

FROM ASSOCIATED PRESS

STOCKHOLM, Sweden — Former UN chief weapons inspector Hans Blix said today that oil was one of the reasons for the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq, a Swedish news agency reported.

"I did not think so at first. But the U.S. is incredibly dependent on oil," news agency TT quoted Blix as saying at a security seminar in Stockholm. "They wanted to secure oil in case competition on the world market becomes too hard."

Blix, who helped oversee the dismantling of Iraq's weapons programs before the war, said another reason for the invasion was a need to move U.S. troops from Saudi Arabia, TT reported.

Competition over oil is creating tension between the United States and China, Blix said, suggesting nuclear power as a more environmentally friendly source of energy.

"I believe the greatest threat in the long term is the greenhouse effect," said Blix, who has become a vocal critic of U.S. leaders since he retired from the UN last year.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:51 PM

Default Re: Iraq war motivated by oil

If he went on record with this viewpoint, pretty dumb on his part if you ask me. Raises questions about his own credibility.