Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2005, 03:11 PM

Default I know this is awful, but WHERE was the mistake?

My (weak) plan when I called was that I would assume a tight party poker range for the raise, so TT-AA, AK-AQ, possibly KQs. I got paranoid and started thinking the range of hands I beat was getting very small with the queen there. What was the big mistake here? Should I have raised pf to see where I was, pushed the flop, or pushed the turn? As I look back on it now, I get the feeling this could just as easily have been a stupid JJ or AQ, and I may have folded the best hand, but I'm not sure...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

BB (t630)
UTG (t715)
UTG+1 (t775)
UTG+2 (t730)
MP1 (t1045)
MP2 (t1085)
MP3 (t785)
Hero (t800)
Button (t770)
SB (t665)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t60</font>, MP3 calls t60, Hero calls t60, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: (t205) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t275</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls t275.

Turn: (t755) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t750 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t1505
Old 04-05-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Re: I know this is awful, but WHERE was the mistake?

Your AK is completely undefined, I don't see how you can possibly to fold on the turn. Would he play a set or 2 pair like this?

This would be different if you raised pf, bet the flop, and got cr'ed all in. Put yourself in his shoes, what do you think (the real you) has? Probably less than AK.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:16 PM

The overbet on the flop smacks of weakness. Besides, the flop is almost perfect for AK. I would have reraised him all-in.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:17 PM

Your mistake is when you folded.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:17 PM

calling preflop is definitely ok. calling the flop is not ok, you have to push. he makes a HUGE bet here. HUGE bet. i dont see any way how your AK can be behind. i really dont think you are going to run into AA here. get yer chips in on the flop. also, if you just called the flop, i dont see how you can fold the turn. holla
Old 04-05-2005, 03:20 PM

I definitely don't think you "have" to push the flop. It is about as drawless as you can get, and headsup. Though when the Qs comes I'm pushing no matter what.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:34 PM

looks like he was trying to basically give his chips to you there... if he had a monster he would not be trying to bully you out of the pot like that... I'd say its most likely a complete bluff with A high or a weak made hand like KJ...
Old 04-05-2005, 03:39 PM

Your only mistake was folding the turn.

I might reraise preflop, but not always. I would call the flop like you did. The board is not dangerous at all.

Call the turn.

-Jman28
Old 04-05-2005, 03:43 PM

Got to at least call the turn. I'd push the flop, but I'd be OK with a "call and let him hang himself on the turn" play. You'd be amazed how weak he could be here.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:55 PM

The mistake came by folding the Turn. Why would your opponent push the Turn if he had you beat? I could see someone playing AA scared that way, but with all the "Level 1 crazies" on PP, it's much more likely that there's only 2-4 cards on the River that could beat you.

The only point in flat calling the flop is to get your opponent to commit most/all of his chips on the Turn. Not a bad play on the drawless board if your opponent might fold to your flop push, but might lead big on the Turn. He's done that. Call and collect your big pot. If you call and lose, oh well, sh-t happens, the Turn call is still correct.