Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2005, 10:58 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Is There Any Hope For REAL Poker (i.e. Hold Em Is Killing Us)

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy No Limit Hold 'Em as much as the next guy (not much of a Limit Hold 'Em player)

But, this one game is killing off the other great games I enjoy (7-stud and hi/lo 8 or better Omaha and Stud)

Hold 'Em is so fricken easy, and I'd rather play more difficult games that require more skill (i.e. 7-stud) where I can have a much larger advantage over my opponents than one could obtain in a game like Hold 'Em.

Is there any hope for our other games, or will they just die off? My home poker games see wait lists for the Hold Em events that exceed the attendance lists for 7-stud. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-04-2005, 08:02 AM

Default Re: Is There Any Hope For REAL Poker (i.e. Hold Em Is Killing Us)

Haha, whatever.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:28 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

[ QUOTE ]
Haha, whatever.

[/ QUOTE ] Be quiet Lebowski! [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 04-04-2005, 11:40 AM

Hey, you got the wrong guy, man. Nobody calls me 'Lebowski,' I'm 'The Dude.'
Old 04-04-2005, 05:20 PM

"Hold 'Em is so fricken easy, and I'd rather play more difficult games that require more skill (i.e. 7-stud) where I can have a much larger advantage over my opponents than one could obtain in a game like Hold 'Em."

You can have a much larger advantage against bad players in no-limit holdem than in any of the games you mention. My favorite games to play are stud and stud-8 - but I now play no-limit holdem and pot-limit Omaha almost exclusively. No-limit holdem is not as interesting as other forms of poker, but it certainly is profitable.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Hold 'Em is so fricken easy, and I'd rather play more difficult games that require more skill (i.e. 7-stud) where I can have a much larger advantage over my opponents than one could obtain in a game like Hold 'Em."

You can have a much larger advantage against bad players in no-limit holdem than in any of the games you mention. My favorite games to play are stud and stud-8 - but I now play no-limit holdem and pot-limit Omaha almost exclusively. No-limit holdem is not as interesting as other forms of poker, but it certainly is profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there's more fish and more money/tables available in hold em games. But.......those games can be extremely brutal too. Your premium hands can get cracked quite easily because you've got five or six people seeing the flop with junk, and your A/A drops significantly in value.

Whereas in a game like stud, there is much more information available to me, more cards are shown. This makes it easier to calculate my outs, my opponents possible holdings and outs, etc.

Most players don't pay enough attention in a game like 7-stud, so I can gain a larger edge than would be possible in a game like hold 'em, because I pay attention and keep track of the suits, the cards, etc.

I had three 9's on board in 7-stud and this idiot was calling me down trying to catch an inside straight flush (had the 8/5 suited on the board and 4/7 in the hole). I already had 4/4 in the hole for my full house. It was great, kept max betting him and he just called and called.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hold 'Em is so fricken easy

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, there's more fish and more money/tables available in hold em games. But.......those games can be extremely brutal too. Your premium hands can get cracked quite easily because you've got five or six people seeing the flop with junk, and your A/A drops significantly in value.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's more to hold 'em than meets your eye.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:04 AM

It takes a lifetime to master.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

There's more to hold 'em than meets your eye.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
It takes a lifetime to master.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oye Vey! I believe the majority of pro's and "authorities" on the subject of poker would agree that 7-card stud requires more skill than Hold 'Em.

I like what Hold 'Em has done for poker, it's brought a lot more money into it with all the fish out there. I just don't care for the difficulty in putting together any poker events that don't feature Hold 'Em.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:33 PM

If by "skill" you mean "good short term memory", then I won't argue. As to the skill pertaining to every other aspect of poker, I don't think your statement is as certain as you seem to think it is. Especially in no limit, "out-playing" your opponent instead of just "out-remembering" them plays quite a large role. As to your hand example, I'm sure any hold'em player can give you an equally pathetic example of a weak player playing badly. That's what weak players are for, in any game.