Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2005, 02:12 PM

Default help with a hand

I've been having a lot of trouble with hands such as this one and I need to figure out where I'm playing them incorrectly.

Live no-limit $2/$5 game at the Bellagio. A few players are absent and game has become a little passive.

No action to me in the cutoff. I limp in with 7c8c to see a cheap flop.

The button limps after me. SB folds. BB, who has biggest chip stack, raises to $10. I call, button calls.

(BB is a surgeon from California who has over $1000 in chips after doubling up an hour earlier with KK v AA and sucking out with a flush. A half hour earlier he slow played K9 on a multi-way flop of 9-9-2 until a T came on the turn and a short stack went all in with AT. He called but lost when another T came on the river. He also made a comment that he read that when you have more than 14 outs after the flop, you are even money to win the hand.)

FLOP: 7d8h9d

BB checks. I lead out $50. Button folds. BB calls.

TURN: Ah

BB checks. I move all in for around $250. BB calls and shows TdJd for nut straight.

RIVER: 3d

BB makes flush. I bust out.

In similar situations in the past, I have thought that perhaps I was just unlucky to get caught in this situation. But the repetition appears to indicate a major leak in playing strategy. What would have been the correct way to play this hand? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Re: help with a hand

"
No action to me in the cutoff. I limp in with 7c8c to see a cheap flop. "

If I am playing this when it's unopened to me, I'm raising it.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"
No action to me in the cutoff. I limp in with 7c8c to see a cheap flop. "

If I am playing this when it's unopened to me, I'm raising it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, did you get my PM? What's going on?
Old 04-03-2005, 02:21 PM

OK, let's say you raise. Button will probably fold. BB is going to call with TdJd. Hand doesn't change substantially. Any other changes?
Old 04-03-2005, 03:30 PM

Let me post my usual disclaimer. I usually ask questions and read posts rarely giving advice. This is a complicated game we play and others are much more qualified than I. On to the show...

Okay, after the flop the pot is $32. (If the BB raises $10 more and not to $10, then it changes the following slightly.) One of the questions I try and ask myself is whether or not I want to play a big pot with my hand. In this case with bottom two, I DO NOT want to play a big pot. So, I try to keep it small.

I make a pot sized bet of $30. Same thing happens. The button folds and the BB calls. Now, I'm more than a tad weary but all kinds of things could be going on. On the turn, I bet around $60, fold to a reraise, and hope to get the river card for cheap.

Controlling the size of the pot is crucial here with a hand you don't want to play for you stack with.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Controlling the size of the pot is crucial here with a hand you don't want to play for you stack with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. I think you hit it on the head here. I made this into a big hand and I didn't have the cards to justify it.

I think the weakness I am coming to identify is that I tend to overplay hands that are marginal at best.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:02 PM

like Kaz said, raise it up or fold pre-flop. open limping from CO is for suckers. if you don't think that you can get the blinds to lay down most hand, then go ahead and muck it. it sounds like this guy would have called a raise pre-flop.

so...what do you have? two pair made with connectors and a 3rd connector on the board already. i'm super cautious with any two pair, but especially connected ones. your two connectors means that it's pretty likely that someone else is close to making a straight.

you lead out for $50 into $32 pot. i'd have bet $30. when it's flat called, i'd put him on a diamond draw, straight draw, or even the made straight.

on the turn, the pot is $132 and you push for $250? who's going to call that? no one that you're ahead of...

if it weren't for the diamond draw i'd probably check behind to keep the pot small. given the liklihood that he's on diamonds, i'd have bet out $100.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:23 PM

Thank you. I appreciate your comments very much.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:30 PM

Kaz really gave you good advice, one other thing Ito mention is the surgeon played his hand terribly.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kone other thing Ito mention is the surgeon played his hand terribly.

[/ QUOTE ]

other than the stupid pre-flop raise, i dont think i agree with this at all.