Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2005, 01:50 AM

Default Looking for a coach.

So far I've played online poker only for fun, began playing last October, with a $10 bankroll (sic). I found my way into MTTs, and it's the place I'm more comfortable with. The initial bankroll ended up getting multiplied by 50 after these 6 months.

I'm in a very complicated place professionally, and I've been considering giving poker for a living a try... MTTs have a huge variance, and right now I need a somewhat steady income.

I've done a little test this week playing the $10+1's at PokerRoom. The play is very soft, but I need to adapt my MTT play to STTs, and I need to do it fast.

I deposited 4 buy-ins and began playing last Monday. I broke about even for a while, and then went broke after a stream of tough and bad beats associated with some poor play from my part. Even though these are less-than-optimal results, I'm sure that if I do the necessary adjustments I can do fairly well.

I think the best way for me to improve that fast is to have a coach, but I need to know how much (more or less) this would cost me. Is it possible to have a deal on paying a percentage of my winnings instead of a fixed amount? Are there other kind of deals I could make with a coach?

Thx
Old 04-02-2005, 02:50 AM

Default Re: Looking for a coach.

Sounds like a plan but only if you make like minimum wage at your current job. If you are making $50,000/year right now, you are nuts to quit that and play poker for a living. Make sure your coach has some decent stats of his own.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:56 AM

Lesson #1, four buyins does not a bankroll make.

I am taking a student soon, and could teach two but I can't do it until May 1st, If your willing to wait that long PM me.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:57 AM

Last time I heard, Irieguy had one or two people under his wing in the 11's range.

Wouldn't hurt to PM him. He has a nice contract written up and if memory serves correct, you'll be playing his $500 roll and paying him 50% of your profits until you care to cash out of the agreement.

Yikes, I should stop putting words into his mouth. Just PM him and see what he has to say.

Pep.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Last time I heard, Irieguy had one or two people under his wing in the 11's range.

Wouldn't hurt to PM him. He has a nice contract written up and if memory serves correct, you'll be playing his $500 roll and paying him 50% of your profits until you care to cash out of the agreement.

Yikes, I should stop putting words into his mouth. Just PM him and see what he has to say.

Pep.

[/ QUOTE ]

this information is way off
Old 04-02-2005, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Pep.

[/ QUOTE ]

this information is way off

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-02-2005, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lesson #1, four buyins does not a bankroll make.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know it very well. As I said, it was just a test.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:55 AM

I don't think you should need a coach, playing low buy in STT's is self explanatory. Start with Aleo's guide, just learning that should yield a moderate positive ROI if you already have basic poker knowledge from your MTT play.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:56 AM

Link?
Old 04-02-2005, 03:58 AM

http://www.aleomagus.freeservers.com/strategy