Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2005, 05:00 PM

Default Need some help with heads up play

Ok, I have been doing reasonably well playing $10+1 SNG's making atleast a small profit but I rarely place 1st as my heads up skills are not good. I even finished 2nd in a 200 multi table on william hill last week with after dominating the final table and find this leak in my game very frustrating. My problem is with the tournament structure how it is in SNG's and MTT final tables the blinds are very high. I mean it is usual to have 5k each in chips and the blinds to be at 400-800 and 600-1200. I either play too aggressively trying to steal and defend blinds or I play slightly more passively and my stack disappears. Can anyone offer me any advice that may improve my chances of winning heads up, thanks
Old 04-01-2005, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Need some help with heads up play

if the blinds are 600-1200, you should push every hand from the sb. if he folds once you are pretty much ahead. heads up, you must be super agressive with high blinds. holla
Old 04-01-2005, 05:06 PM

Haven't watch you play so I can't really say with certainty, but one comment did make me think..

'I either play too aggressively trying to steal and defend blinds or I play slightly more passively and my stack disappears'

Blind stealing = very good
Blind defending (I understand this as calling a raise or an allin when you're in the BB) without the proper sort of hand (read, a very good one) = massive leak in a lot of peoples' games IMO.

What sort of hand are you likely to defend your blind with if I move allin on you from the SB and we have equal stacks?
Old 04-01-2005, 05:47 PM

I will pass on to you the same advice given me about a year ago on this forum in response to a very similar post:

Get on PokerStars, play $5.25 HU SNGs. Record stats. When you are clearly winning at $5.25 move up to $10.50, $21 etc.

Five months of four or five 2 player SNGs a day did my short game a wonder of good.

Doc [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]