Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2005, 12:50 AM

Default AK in a monster pot... played too passively?

I'm posting this because I hate how passively I played this hand. At the same time, I was getting great pot odds and I thought folding would be an error. Did I play too weakly?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (18.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (12.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

River: (18.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero folds, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 22.25 BB
Old 04-01-2005, 12:54 AM

Default Re: AK in a monster pot... played too passively?

I think this is OK. There's no real place to get aggressive here. Leading the flop into this giant field is ridiculous. Check-raising the flop accomplishes nothing, and ditto for the turn.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:56 AM

You should really cap this PF. I'd bet out on the flop and hope it gets raised.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:58 AM

Table selection: A+.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You should really cap this PF. I'd bet out on the flop and hope it gets raised.

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting line. I generally avoid capping with AK but LRR's could have anything these days. I've seen a LRR with Q3s once.

What's the logic for betting this flop? Hope that UTG raises and cleans up outs for you? MP3 is too far away to do that for you.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Table selection: A+.

[/ QUOTE ]
Lol. Yeah no kidding.

PS I liked your old avatar better [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2005, 06:36 PM

Methinks you played it g00t.

I have two questions:

Would it have been g00t to raise preflop and force the field to face two, hoping to knock anyone out although they had put two bets in already, or

...was it good to call the 3-bet hoping MP3 would start the flop betting so you could reraise him if you wanted to, and...

Would you want to raise him on this flop if he had been the first to bet? You only have overcards, but maybe if you knock some people out top pair would be more likely to hold up it hit.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:51 PM

Wow. I forgot how loose .5/1 is [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I never see this kind of action at 1/2 or 2/4.

I probably would fold the flop.

Tom
Old 04-01-2005, 07:12 PM

Similar topic in another thread. Here's my response.

I would call the flop, and fold turn UI. Just personally, I tend to go too far with overs and end up losing a BB or two chasing too much, so I've tried to change up my play and tighten up/let go of overs in situations like this.

If you manage to hit your over, I think you should still play conservatively. With so many people in the pot, I think there is a pretty decent chance you're behind something like raggy 2 pair or reverse dominated. I don't think raising if you hit an over and SB bets will do anything but hurt you -- those who are ahead will call and those who are behind will fold.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:23 PM

Preflop seems good.

Post flop you put in 2.5 BBs.

How about rasing the flop? This will cost you 1 BB (2SB), and could get many people to fold even at this table. Then if you hit the turn, you're in a better position. If you miss the turn you fold.

This scenario: post flop you put in 1BB not 2.5BB. Or you put in more BBs but have a much better chance of winning when if you hit the turn.

Even if you are reraised on the flop and check that you only put in 3SB= 1.5 BB. Then if you miss the turn you fold.

I think this is why raising the flop and folding the turn unimproved is better. You put less money in, and if you hit, you have less opponents against what amounts as a dangerous flopd for you almost no matter what.