Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Jane Fonda Regrets 1972 Visit to Vietnam Gun Site

link

Jane Fonda Regrets 1972 Visit to Vietnam Gun Site

Thu Mar 31, 1:34 PM ET Entertainment - Reuters

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Jane Fonda regrets her visit to a North Vietnamese gun site in 1972, the actress and fitness guru said in an interview with CBS television show "60 Minutes" to be aired on Sunday.

The actress defended her trip to Vietnam in 1972, which won her the nickname "Hanoi Jane." But she said her visit to a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun site used to shoot down U.S. pilots was a "betrayal" of the U.S. military.

"The image of Jane Fonda, Barbarella, Henry Fonda's daughter ... sitting on an enemy aircraft gun was a betrayal," she said, calling the act, "The largest lapse of judgment that I can even imagine."

But she said she did not regret visiting Hanoi, or being photographed with American prisoners of war there.

"There are hundreds of American delegations that had met with the POWs," she said. "Both sides were using the POWs for propaganda. ... It's not something that I will apologize for."

Three decades on, Vietnam continues to be a divisive issue for Americans. During last year's election campaign, some Republican supporters of President Bush called his Democratic rival, Sen. John Kerry, "Hanoi John" for protesting the Vietnam War after fighting in it and receiving five medals for combat duty.

Why didn't they hang the bitch for treason?
Old 03-31-2005, 05:52 PM

Default Re: Jane Fonda Regrets 1972 Visit to Vietnam Gun Site

I've seen this one on a few cars:
Old 03-31-2005, 06:55 PM

What act of treason did she commit?
Old 03-31-2005, 09:42 PM

aid and comfort to the enemy? in a documentary about p.o.w.s in the hanoi hilton, one of the prisoners gave her a note when they shook hands at the press conference(i think it was a list of names of p.o.w.s, but can't remember for sure) and she turned it over to the nva earning the p.o.w that gave her the note some extra torture for his trouble
Old 03-31-2005, 11:42 PM

Hanoi Jane can kiss my [censored] covered ass
Old 04-01-2005, 12:17 AM

Covered with cysts? Is that it?

You and Rush have something else in common. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2005, 02:48 AM

Default Jane Fonda, traitor to whom - or what?

Was the war in Vietnam a just war? Was protesting against it morally legitimate?

Were war crimes on a grand scale committed by the United States at the time? Was actively sabotaging those war crimes morally correct or incorrect?

Is the credo MY COUNTRY, RIGHT OR WRONG still valid in the 20th century? Note that it's the same century that saw the Nuremberg Trials, where the Allies legislated that moral judgement supercedes military discipline or patriotism (i.e. you are guilty of a war crime if you machine gun a bunch of enemy civilians, even if your officer ordered you to, or your country demands it of you)

Answer those questions first, people, and then answer the question in the tile of this post. Try to be consistent.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:41 AM

Default Re: Jane Fonda, traitor to whom - or what?

[ QUOTE ]
Clause 1: Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-01-2005, 05:13 AM

Has the US already offered an apology for all the atrocities commited by American Soldiers to Vietnamese people in that war?
Old 04-01-2005, 08:24 AM

Default The silent pager

[ QUOTE ]
Clause 1: Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

[/ QUOTE ]

As empty of content as any non-answer I've ever seen. So thanks for nothing.

!?!