Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Lots more raising from the BB when I was planning on calling anyway vs a button/CO steal will . . .
+EV when used occasionally, unless you're an idiot. 2 16.67%
Likely +EV, but your postflop play must be good! Be careful. 3 25.00%
Very marginal. If you're very good postflop you might squeeze a little +EV out of it. 5 41.67%
-EV unless you're a pro (in which case why are you asking us our opinions?) 2 16.67%
-EV, period. Call or fold. 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2005, 01:33 AM

Default Chasing flush draws

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

BB (t800)
UTG (t800)
UTG+1 (t900)
UTG+2 (t855)
Hero (t800)
MP2 (t800)
MP3 (t725)
CO (t790)
Button (t745)
SB (t785)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises to t45</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t100</font>, MP2 calls t100, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls t55.

Flop: (t325) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t325</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises to t755 (All-In)</font>, Hero .....
Old 03-31-2005, 01:34 AM

Default Re: Chasing flush draws

I think you should raise more preflop, and yes I would make this call.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:59 AM

Why did you check the flop? Bet something like 200-225 next time and be very happy that they pushed so you could call it.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:02 AM

I think this is straighfoward, you are drawing to overcards &amp; the nut flush.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:04 AM

I don't think you can get away from this here.

I think you can if you just coldcall behind the initial raiser preflop (what I would do here most likely).

I also think getting away from this due to the heavy action isn't necessarily a bad idea.

Yugoslav
I also wanna know the damn buyin here...
Old 03-31-2005, 02:06 AM

I don't like calling here. If you had lead out on the flop and basically pot commited yourself, it's an easy call, but given the action, your overcard outs are dubious and it's early. I just let it go.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you check the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

This was just a rare situation. And furthermore, it was 3 handed. My plan was to check-raise.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like calling here. If you had lead out on the flop and basically pot commited yourself, it's an easy call, but given the action, your overcard outs are dubious and it's early. I just let it go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, given the action before me, I wasn't sure what the best line was, but I figured with my two overcards, things looked pretty good.

Let's assume for the moment my Ace and King are good. That's 6 outs, plus the 9 flush cards. And, a very distant inside straight draw.

So, these are my in the game thoughts...
I've got 15 outs, and 47 unseen cards. Two cards to come, that's got to be decent odds. There's 1550 in the pot, with potentially more from the intial bettor still yet to act. I've got 700 to call. 2.2:1 pot odds. Potential implied odds are 2.75:1.

Anyway, what's ringing in the back of my mind is Adanthar's comments to always play pot odds. So, I'm in this boat, and I don't know how to calculate pot odds with two cards to come. Any help?

PS - Yugo, I post here often enough, and frequently give my buyin, but you're right, I should have included. $33 buyin.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why did you check the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

This was just a rare situation. And furthermore, it was 3 handed. My plan was to check-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check/raise might have been fine in other situations but consider the information you already have about the hand. Person in front of you raised, you re-raised, with 1 caller behind you. Original raiser checked thinking you'd bet it, you checked it hoping to check/raise and then... oops... cold-caller has to now actually have a real hand to make a bet. If they missed they'd check it behind. Make a continuation bet like you'd always do, and then you'd call the all-in after some thought.

You know actually after I think about the hand now in these circumstances, I'd be real worried about my overcards if they really are clean outs. If you knew anything about the play of the 2 opponents I'd be more likely to fold this now unless given proper pot odds to chase if you checked, but if it were against unknowns I'd be more willing to call.

Edit: Since they're both going to be all-in anyways on this hand I'd call no matter who I'd be up against and pray for the flush without even worrying about the overcards. Call them insurance.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:31 AM

If your overcards are good, it is an easy call. If they aren't I think it is an easy fold. (I'm too tired to do any ICMing now).

How often are they good? Well, your hearts make it a lot less likely that either villian is betting a flush draw. A lot of the time one of them will have TPGK and the other will have an overpair.

It's fairly close, but I lean towards folding. If you had bet out the flop, I think it would be a call for sure.