Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 08:10 PM

Default The lost art of folding overpairs...

Absolute Poker 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $1.
UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, UTG (poster) checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, CO folds, SB calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero folds, MP2 calls.

What's the verdict?
Old 03-30-2005, 08:14 PM

Default Re: The lost art of folding overpairs...

the converter messed up the flop play of you and MP2
Old 03-30-2005, 08:21 PM

you da man...nh
Old 03-30-2005, 08:23 PM

Peronally i think a raise freflop is much better than calling especially in MP1
Old 03-30-2005, 08:23 PM

Try not to bet and fold on the same street. Especially when he might just have that 8. I'd probably fold the river unimproved, but you really don't want to give people the impression you'll fold like that.

Raise with 99 preflop.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:25 PM

Why did you fold? Confident sb had the flush or trips by his raise? Confident UTG+1 did by his cold call?
Old 03-30-2005, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Try not to bet and fold on the same street.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] that, I don't care if people want to take shots at me in the future. I will loosen up my calls a bit for the next few orbits if necessary... This is a classic, sweet-ass laydown.

edit: and yeah, I raise pf.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Try not to bet and fold on the same street.

[/ QUOTE ]
This isn't a good rule.

The players in the hand don't know that you're folding an overpair here, and calling the turn and folding the river unimproved is bad, because you're wasting a bet on the turn. If you feel you're behind and the pot is not large enough to call, then fold. Don't call for image - only you know what you're folding. If you think people are starting to take shots at you, by all means call down, but always calling a raise if you bet a street is a massive leak.

As far as this hand goes, I raise preflop, bet flop, and I would bet/fold that turn against most players.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:39 PM

PREFLOP - You called. Raise unless it's a tight table, especially since UTG threw some post up money in there out of position.

FLOP - You bet. I would like to check this flop because your overpair 9s are vulnerable to five different overcards and opponents on a flush draw. You do not have a big equity margin in the pot with two cards to come. If the turn is not an overcard or a club, your high pair equity will go way up and any bets that go into the pot at that point will be to your great advantage.

On the other hand, I get nervous when there is a two suited flop and there are a lot of opponents still in. You have six remaining. Since the pot is pretty small, I think you can at least get one club holders to fold, so I am going to override the above point and bet. This may be a mistake however. I would like to hear comments from others more erudite than I about this.

TURN - Scare card. Third to a suit, but an undercard. This is tricky. I think I bet to charge those with one club and still on the draw. If I get reraised I call unlike your fold. I would fold to a 3bet.

Notice how raising pre-flop might have helped you in this hand. You might have gotten T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and similar suited club hands to fold.

Edit: corrected "flop" to "pre-flop", last para.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Notice how raising the flop might have helped you in this hand. You might have gotten T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and similar suited club hands to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you mean raising preflop, but this is still results oriented. You want T7s to coldcall your raise preflop when you have 99.