Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Teaching the wife..

The wife loves to play poker just as much as I do, mostly we play online SNG or 1-2 table tourneys when we host or go to others' games. The unfortunate part is she refuses to listen to advice from me or even venture forth and educate herself via books, this forum, etc. She basically has no ideas about any SNG strategies or other concepts (fold equity, pot odds, etc.)

Well, we have a few tourneys coming up and she's finally broke down and is allowing me one session with her to review some stuff. Now I'm not the best player myself by any means, but these boards and books/articles which I've read have made me a pretty decent player. I'm only afraid that she'll get frustrated during our session, so I'm trying to keep it short, but helpfull.

I'd like opinions on topics to discuss, trying not to overwhelm her. I'm hoping that maybe this first session will open her eyes to areas she needs improvement, and perhaps will lead to more sessions or reading. I think if she actually enjoys the learning experience and can benefit from it, she'll keep learning.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Teaching the wife..

The fact your wife sits down at the poker table with you and plays online with you is an incredible feat in and of itself. Congrats on a very, very cool wife (my wife plays, too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Now, you really didn't say just how far along your wife was with the game, but if it was me ...

I think that a quick refresher on starting hand requirements vs. position at the table, along with standard raise sizes in relation to the blinds (3X or 4X, plus one more for each limper), and the idea that you want to be mostly raising or folding, and 'calling' as little as possible ... yeah, those three areas might be a good place to start.

And dude, if you can get through that and she still craves more, stop talking poker and make love to the woman instead [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Have fun!
Old 03-30-2005, 01:31 PM

Well for online play:
Beating the 10+1 on Party
Old 03-30-2005, 01:43 PM

well, she's generally a pretty tight player, although I think she tends to overvalue cards such as ATo, KJo, etc, especially OOP. At the same time, she can't understand limping with low-mid PP for set value on the button with limpers...(making notes to self..)

And yes, she's a calling station, however I know usually only with good draw or made hand. When she raises I know to get the hell out of dodge. Of course she loses to other draws by not protecting at the same time (more notes)

Thanks for the advice..
Old 03-30-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well for online play:
Beating the 10+1 on Party

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I printed that out for myself some time back, I'll have to sneak that in somewhere too...
Old 03-30-2005, 02:02 PM

Ya, I'd go all-in here as well.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:50 PM

Teaching my wife to play poker [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]Now there's a novel concept [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]What about the drinking and chasing parts? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2005, 03:33 PM

Well, the wife already plays everytime I do, so now it's just a matter of making her want to improve her game.

She doesn't drink during poker, however, when we go out to bars, etc, she's drinking and eyeing just as much tail as I am..

..did I mention my wife rocks!
Old 03-30-2005, 03:36 PM

OMG [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]