Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 02:16 AM

Default 2 bets to me on the turn with top pair.

What do you think about folding this turn? No reads but my feeling is that perhaps villain tried to get tricky with a 7

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (7 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero folds, SB calls.

River: (11 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB
Old 03-30-2005, 02:26 AM

Default Re: 2 bets to me on the turn with top pair.

My play is 90% read specific. If I think UTG is tight and is raising with a Q then i usually call the turn hoping the SB comes along for the ride. If I think he's tricky and somewhat loose I usually fold.

Against random opponents, I'd probably fold and wait for another hand to take their money.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:14 AM

Without reads, the fold on the turn seems fine.
Maybe I'm wrong but the last thing I would do on the flop is call. Raise or fold depending on the read on the SB.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I'm wrong but the last thing I would do on the flop is call. Raise or fold depending on the read on the SB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have three questions:

1) What's the value of raising the flop when you're closing the action?
2) What's the value of folding the flop when you're closing the action?
3) What's the value of calling the flop when you're closing the action?

Let's try to clear up that "maybe"...
Old 03-30-2005, 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have three questions:

Let's try to clear up that "maybe"...

[/ QUOTE ]

1)Possible free river
2)If you are not getting odds to call on (at best) 6 outs, fold
3)If you are getting odds to call on 6 outs, then call (I don't really like it though)
Old 03-30-2005, 05:13 AM

Those outs need to be discounted because you could be dominated, and someone could have a 7, in which case they're not hand winning outs.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:17 AM

i fold this flop. a bettor a caller and an overcaller is enough heat for me, even if i assume these guys call lightly. overcards has been a continuing struggle/leak in my game but with a crowd i dont care if i have position. i have king high trying to hit a pair on a paired board.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I have three questions:

[/ QUOTE ]

1)Possible free river
2)If you are not getting odds to call on (at best) 6 outs, fold
3)If you are getting odds to call on 6 outs, then call (I don't really like it though)

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't quite answer the questions the way I was expecting. It wasn't meant to be an abstract thing, but a very concerte look at this hand and the situation that's presented.

The free card play alone is *NOT* enough to justify raising. In fact, you generally should avoid a free card play with a weak draw. It's too expensive when it fails. The free card play is not too likely to work because you have a larger field.

Raising opens yourself up to a 3-bet, which is bad because you're compelled to see the turn by then due to the pot size being quite large.

The only other reason to raise when closing the action is that you have a strong hand or strong draw that you want to raise for value. This hand clearly does not satisfy that condition.

Raising is the worst of the three options.

Folding and calling are close together, with folding being slightly better. You don't have 6 full outs, but it's probably closer to 3 because of all the callers. You have almost the right odds to make a call for 3 outs, but you've got reverse implied odds working against you (you don't want action if you hit your hand because it probably means you're beat). These two things make folding look better than calling.

But calling here would be a "loose flop call", and not a complete disaster.

You've got to be careful with the "raise-or-fold" line, because there are lots of places it simply doesn't apply, and this is one of them.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:53 PM

Without any reads I think this is a good fold. You're only getting 5:1 to call and there is the possibility of more action behind you, plus you're almost certainly going to have to pay one more on the river.

Postflop, I don't think there is a more predictable behaviour among typical microlimit opponents than slowplaying flopped trips to the turn.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Without reads, the fold on the turn seems fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur with Aaron, the last thing I would do here is raise. The only benefit of raising is getting a free card which doesn't work enough times here to warrant it. I want to see a cheap turn if possible.