Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 12:21 PM

Default How is this push??

$50+5
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (5 handed) converter

BB (t2843)
Hero (t1620)
MP (t1555)
Button (t2395)
SB (t1587)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1620 (All-In)</font>

Should I fold this and wait for better spot(position)?
Old 03-29-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Re: How is this push??

I fold and wait.

You are only getting called by a better hand or a PP. Essentially, if called you are hoping for a coin flip. If you were a short stack I'd answer differently, but you have a healthy stack and are out of position (in CO or on the button the answer is different as well).
Old 03-29-2005, 12:29 PM

I agree with jack, but it is very player dependent. If you have a bunch of tight-asses trying to hang around for the money, then I probably push. This push is very player dependent.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:06 PM

This is a great push. Look at the stack sizes. Everybody is in "the comfort zone" with enough chips that they aren't desperate. I doubt anybody is calling with less than A9, PP's above 66's, and KQ. If somebody wakes up with a monster, that's poker. A high percentage of the time he is going to pick up 450 chips and KJ matches up well against a number of hands that call - 99,1010,A9,A10, etc.

His other option is to fold and take the BB in the next hand. If he folds that BB he is down to 1320 chips and has lost ALOT of fold equity.

Of course this answer is player dependant, but lacking strong player reads I push this 100% of the time.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a great push. Look at the stack sizes. Everybody is in "the comfort zone" with enough chips that they aren't desperate. I doubt anybody is calling with less than A9, PP's above 66's, and KQ. If somebody wakes up with a monster, that's poker. A high percentage of the time he is going to pick up 450 chips and KJ matches up well against a number of hands that call - 99,1010,A9,A10, etc.

His other option is to fold and take the BB in the next hand. If he folds that BB he is down to 1320 chips and has lost ALOT of fold equity.

Of course this answer is player dependant, but lacking strong player reads I push this 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-29-2005, 01:20 PM

Haven't read the other posts, but this is player dependent. If the table is tight I might push with any two cards. If you pick up the blinds your chances of winning go up. If you pass and go through the blinds you are now relatively short stacked.
I would push in a heart beat on a passive table. Might even prefer to have two rags so if I'm called I'm not dominated.

Bruce
Old 03-29-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Might even prefer to have two rags so if I'm called I'm not dominated.

[/ QUOTE ]
Huh? I love to put my money in with jacks and have someone flip over QQ-AA. Think before you speak.
"Chances of winning go up if you pick up the blinds"
Huh? Did you even read the post? The blinds were nothing. I vote this guy for poster of the year!
Old 03-29-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Huh? I love to put my money in with jacks and have someone flip over QQ-AA. Think before you speak.
"Chances of winning go up if you pick up the blinds"
Huh? Did you even read the post? The blinds were nothing. I vote this guy for poster of the year!

[/ QUOTE ]

??? what are you flipping out about

he's sayin he'd rather push with 89s or something along those lines than a hand like QJ or A9 where if you are called you're likely dominated instead of a 60/40 dog.

blinds nothing? they're 150/300

as for the push, it's a fine play.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I strongly disagree with this and I don't think it is a trivial point. Yes with two rags you will be dominated less often. But you will never be ahead and you will be a coin flip far less often. Occassionally you will even get called by QJ suited or K10 suited. Statistically it is unlikely for somebody to have a better Jack or better King because you have 1 of the Kings and 1 of the Jacks at a shorthanded table. I'm not going to layout the math but it is much better to have KJ against the range of hands that will call you.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:35 PM

I am officially retarded! I was responding to other posts at the same time and got confused with another thread. The other one I was looking at had the blinds at t15. Sorry for the flame out.