Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 09:18 PM

Default bubble hand. good laydown?

The villian was a good player that played tight early and was blind stealing at the end. I saw him reraise all-in with two hands only and they were QQ and AK. I folded thinking that I could out play the shorter stacks as they were playing very tight and I didn't really want a coin flip. Was this the correct play? By the way this was a $10+1.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (4 handed) converter

Hero (t4510)
Button (t2610)
SB (t2705)
BB (t3675)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t450</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t3825</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t4350
Old 03-28-2005, 09:40 PM

Default Re: bubble hand. good laydown?

It might be important to know how you were playing so that we could get some idea of what he might have thought of you. However, without that information, I would tend to think that TT is the best hand preflop. I would guess that you are either a coinflip or you have him dominated. As such, I would probably be inclined to call. Does he really make such a huge re-raise with QQ-AA? JJ might be a possibility, I think alot of people will just push this hand cus they're not sure where they stand (and I might want to include myself in that group), but this push looks more like a middle/small pair that just wants you to fold. I dunno, the push just looks kinda fishy as a big pair and if you think it's even something like 1/3 smaller PP and 2/3 overs, it seems like you have to call. But then, I may be evaluating his hand range rather poorly...I dunno.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:43 PM

Folding is fine here. You are very likely to be folding a 50/50, somewhat likely to be folding a big dog, and 5% of the time your commanding it. I never got rich calling 50 50s. If you think you can win easy chips off the other two players fold.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:55 PM

I think this will be a coinflip most of the time, folding altough it might seem weak is probably +$EV here.
I'd say it's a good fold.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:03 PM

I would have been more likely to call a shorter stack here, but not villian. He could have really hurt my stack and the other two were very weak. They would rarely call a raise, so blind stealing was pretty easy. Those were my main reasons for folding.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:14 PM

Since you don't have much in the pot and are not folding what looks to be a big winner, folding is probably better if there is easy money to be made by stealing blinds. ITM though, 3 players left I would go for it, since the push would be +EV and you would get much less leverage over shortstacks.