Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 12:04 PM

Default Another Terri Shivo post....help me figure this out

I honestly dont know how I stand on this issue, Im more for state's rights than anything, but I also see it as a moral issue..but, one thing that no one has been able to answer me: if i were to travel to Terri's hospice the day it was announced that the feeding tube was going to be removed, ie, while it was still in, and scheduled for removal, and shot her with a gun...am I commiting murder? Cause if so, it would seem that she's "alive" enough to be kept on???
Old 03-28-2005, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Another Terri Shivo post....help me figure this out

[ QUOTE ]
I honestly dont know how I stand on this issue, Im more for state's rights than anything, but I also see it as a moral issue..but, one thing that no one has been able to answer me: if i were to travel to Terri's hospice the day it was announced that the feeding tube was going to be removed, ie, while it was still in, and scheduled for removal, and shot her with a gun...am I commiting murder? Cause if so, it would seem that she's "alive" enough to be kept on???

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read any of the other threads, and I only opened this one because I was wondering WTF people could still be discussing.

Anyhow, shooting someone is murder, the active taking of life. Removing life support such as a breathing aparatus is allowing someone to die, passively. Removing a feeding tube, which is essentially starving a person, is a questionable grey area between the two. It is a topic complicated enought that it could not be done justice being discussed here. Read a few books on Medical Ethics.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:14 PM

I think the conclusion of this whole case is that it's really fun to make fun of it, since nobody cares anyway.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if i were to travel to Terri's hospice the day it was announced that the feeding tube was going to be removed, ie, while it was still in, and scheduled for removal, and shot her with a gun...am I commiting murder? Cause if so, it would seem that she's "alive" enough to be kept on???

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you be against the death penalty for the same reason?
Old 03-28-2005, 12:17 PM

Eh, I think its very sad that you believe no one cares.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:18 PM

Im not saying Im for or against anything, pertaining to this case. Im for the death penalty though, but oddly enough, I disagree with abortion.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Removing a feeding tube, which is essentially starving a person, is a questionable grey area between the two.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you had an infant (incapable of feeding herself), do you think you would be charged with murder if you withheld food from her until she died? Or is that a grey area too?
Old 03-28-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eh, I think its very sad that you believe no one cares.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of people care because it is on the news. Those people are sheep.

It's on the news because it gets ratings. Those journalists are whores.

Policitians are involved because it gets votes. Those policitians are also whores.

This is not a new topic. It comes up constantly in every hospital in the country. There is nothing that special about this case, except the absurdly disgusting sensationalization of it, and the ridiculousness of people all over the country claiming that they "care" because the media tells them to and it makes them feel better about themselves.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Removing a feeding tube, which is essentially starving a person, is a questionable grey area between the two.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you had an infant (incapable of feeding herself), do you think you would be charged with murder if you withheld food from her until she died? Or is that a grey area too?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
It is a topic complicated enought that it could not be done justice being discussed here. Read a few books on Medical Ethics.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-28-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a topic complicated enought that it could not be done justice being discussed here. Read a few books on Medical Ethics.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you are saying it is a grey area, if you think you need to read books on medical ethics to decide if starving a baby is murder.