Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 10:05 AM

Default I PROPOSE A NEW FORUM: WINNING SNG PLAYERS

It seems that this forum is nothing more than a cyber country club for a tight-knit group of losing players with <10% of membership actually having anything worthwhile or substantial (read: correct) to say about how to actually beat SNG's.

I propose that that <10% group get their own forum where poker knowledge, skills and experience will override familiarity, seniority and likability.

I propose that the first and only requirement for membership be to run members party handle through Prophecy, other players PT statistics or another reliable source and comeup with a skill rating for this player that is based upon FACT and ACTUAL RESULTS other than this de-facto pecking order that has been established in this forum.

A serious amount of improvement and poker education could be going on, but it is being lost on all this emotional static.

WD
Old 03-28-2005, 10:13 AM

Default Re: I PROPOSE A NEW FORUM: WINNING SNG PLAYERS

Interesting.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:29 AM

"It seems that this forum is nothing more than a cyber country club for a tight-knit group of losing players"

Weird since all the regulars I see posting here seem to be winning players.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I propose that that <10% group get their own forum where poker knowledge, skills and experience will override familiarity, seniority and likability.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Can a group of less than 10% ROI..... I was gonna say something about knowledge, skill and experience co-existing, but that would just be, well, ....do I have to say it?
Old 03-28-2005, 11:20 AM

Why don't the good players just point out when the bad players post bad advice? I thought that was what this forum was for?
Old 03-28-2005, 11:34 AM

If we were all expert players, there would be no need for a forum in the first place. You're suggesting that only the "good" players debate with each other to improve. How do you define "good"? It can't be defined as winning players because marginally winning players are far from perfect and still make plenty of errors.

By your logic, you have no use for players who are worse than yourself. Extending that thought, players who are better than yourself have no use for you.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:38 AM

The part about having your uptodate results in your signature sounds like a neat idea... that will never happen.
But it is good when someone offers their opinion on a hand even if its bad so long as someone comes around to correct them or offer their conflicting opinion. ITS THE POINT OF A FORUM.

If you're looking for a circle jerk, go somewhere else.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I propose that the first and only requirement for membership be to run members party handle through Prophecy, other players PT statistics or another reliable source and comeup with a skill rating for this player that is based upon FACT and ACTUAL RESULTS other than this de-facto pecking order that has been established in this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

If by Prophecy, what level or percentage would you think should be the cut off?
Old 03-28-2005, 11:49 AM

Gaucho, if this is a joke post, I do find it very humorous...

[ QUOTE ]
this de-facto pecking order that has been established in this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the de-facto pecking order? How is it established? Oh, and just for shits and giggles, where do I rank (***gulp***,not very high I hope)?
Old 03-28-2005, 11:54 AM

'seem to be'

indeed

i invite you to pick five regulars (i like to call them 'lifers') and run their PP handles through Prophecy. See what you get. I'm not going to name any specific players, I'll let you decide which ones to test.

They say Prophecy is inaccurate, but anybody who has taken even the most elimentary statistics class knows that, so long as the sample is a random one, it can be used to generalize to the greater whole with a large enough percentage being sampled.

Neilsen for example samples less than 1% of US households and is able to generalize to the whole US within a couple of % points.

As an added note, my Prophecy stats are right on the money, as are two close friends'. The only thing off by any significant amount is the total tourneys played. They seem to miss 10-20%.

WD