Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2005, 09:35 PM

Default Is this way too tight?

$5 sng UB.
6 handed very passive table.Blinds are 75/150

UTG who has like 3k raises 525, its folded to me ( im the BB)I have 1200( and 150 in the pot) and a pair of eights..I think a little and decide to fold. Im sure UTG has me beat..anyway after my fold..the table basically colluded and made sure I made the money. ( in the bubble two ppl who had 4K go all-in on a 975r flop, the caller had 33)Btw my maximum was 3000 chips and I came in second. ( meaning I almost tripled up my buy in without never tripling up my chips [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])
Old 03-26-2005, 09:41 PM

Default Re: Is this way too tight?

It's not way too tight but some of the things you said in your post are faulty thinking.

First you said you are sure the UTG player has you beat. A large % of the time they will have just overcards, and in this case you aren't beat. However sometimes in sit and go's you don't want to risk all your chips on a coin flip, which you would often be doing by playing this hand.

If the table is very passive, I definitely like your fold, because this means you'll have a great chance to just pick up blinds uncontested. If the raise came from the button, I'd be a lot more likely to play as now you have a real legitimate chance of dominating your opponent, as people raise with hands like Axs, Ax, and 22-77 on the button, but less often from UTG.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:42 PM

What makes you think you are beat? He has a big stack, so he could be raising with anything.

You didn't post stack sizes, but with 6 people left I'm guessing that the money is far away.

Unless your opponents are truly awful, I would've called and then pushed on any flop.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:00 PM

I dont remember stack sizes, and he didnt have a big stack..in Ub you start with t1500. No way he had AJ, he had something better, of course I didnt knew that at that time I realized he was weak-tight ITM, he was at my left so I pushed evetything and anything, of course he took a stand when I had a hand.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:06 PM

Why couldnt he have AJ? Even a lot of weak, passive players will raise with it in a 6 handed game.