Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2005, 07:35 PM

Default 10+1 Steal attempt. Agree or disagree.

Generally loose passive table, no allout calling stations though. I've played a single hand throughout the tourney, early in level 2, and everyone folded around to my standard preflop raise, so I figured I might be getting a little credit.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed) converter

BB (t3250)
UTG (t805)
MP (t560)
CO (t685)
Hero (t575)
SB (t2125)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls t50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls t50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t575 (All-In)</font>
Old 03-26-2005, 07:38 PM

Default Re: 10+1 Steal attempt. Agree or disagree.

Agree
Old 03-26-2005, 08:07 PM

Not trying to call you out or anything but how could you only have 575 chips if you had only played one han that you won the blinds on? You should take a more honest self evaluating approach to your game, your leaking chips on hands you don't even remember.

Oh and fold this in a 10+1.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:09 PM

Disagree.

J10s or off is not something I want to risk a 2:1 or worse with here. No high card power whatsoever. Table is loose/passive? Thats a generalization. Do you have a specific read on the blinds? With their stack sizes where they are they are either LAG or TAG at this stage. LAG prone to gamble it up here with Ax for only 20% of stackIif a TAG calls your probably looking at being a huge dog. Also, either comes over the top you must fold and have lost 25% of your stack. Too early to risk all for very little.

I assume you would attempt the steal with a 3x-4xbb raise?
Old 03-26-2005, 08:18 PM

This is the kind of situation where you usually have to be playing at the table to feel whether it's the right thing to do. I definitely don't think it's terrible.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:40 PM

Fold. You are risking 575 to win 175. What are you going to be called with that you are a favorite? Roughly 3 out of 4 times you can't be called for this play to work and I dont see that happening, in a loose 10+1 game. Small and big blinds also have large stacks so calls will be more likely from them. UTG limps are sometimes monsters, another reason to fold. Also you have 11.5x the BB so you have time. Make the fish make the mistakes not you.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not trying to call you out or anything but how could you only have 575 chips if you had only played one han that you won the blinds on? You should take a more honest self evaluating approach to your game, your leaking chips on hands you don't even remember.

[/ QUOTE ]

Want to rethink and reconsider this?

End of round 1 - 2x post sb/bb T90
End of round 2 - 1x post sb/bb 1x won blinds TO
Round 3 - 2x post bb 1x post sb T125

T800 - T215 = T585
Old 03-26-2005, 08:43 PM

In theory I agree, but I pull this crap all the time and they *NEVER* call at 25/50
Old 03-26-2005, 08:45 PM

Disagree on the push. You will be dominated or 60/40 everytime you are called.

You truly have to know your table well when you have a small, but still playable, stack like this. It is big enough to be allow 'poker' to be played and not small enough to just shove it in yet. Really pay attention to key details. Sure you know in the back of your mind that this table is loose/passive, but rarely does that info help me out when making hard decisions. You need to spot who gives up their blinds easily, who limp/folds to raises, etc. I hope you're not just doing a lot of folding, but actually watching every hand.

Fold the JT. Stealing is read-dependent.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In theory I agree, but I pull this crap all the time and they *NEVER* call at 25/50

[/ QUOTE ]

NEVER is NEVER a certainty. Perhaps one of the math whizzes can run the numbers to see what the EV of this play is long term.

I would run it myself but I'm a leather ass graduate from the school of hardknocks so I tend to keep it simple.

I am not repeat........NOT saying this is a horrible move. Barring a pretty good read on the blinds I am laying these down and waiting for a better spot.