Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2002, 11:33 PM

Default Origin of the term \"The Nuts\"

I heard a story the other day about where "the nuts" comes from. It sounded believable, I wonder if anyone can confirm or deny it.

In the old West, when a guy had what he was sure was the best hand he would often go outside and take the nuts off of the wheels to his wagon. He'd come inside and bet "the nuts", which represented him betting his whole wagon on the hand.

What do you think?
Old 10-14-2002, 05:13 AM

Default Re: Origin of the term \"The Nuts\"

I read that somewhere too.......and I think it's true.....but I really think the original term came from what is inbetween your legs.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Origin of the term \"The Nuts\"

There is a reasonably good chance that it dates back to ancient Egypt. In ancient Egyptian mythology the mother of Isis who was believed to have possesed great magical skill, was named Nut. The entire family was referred to as "The Nuts", this included Isis, Nut, Keb, Osiris and Horus. If the Gods were on your side it was deemed you had "The Nuts". [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Jimbo
Old 10-14-2002, 07:12 PM

Default \"The Mertz\"

While I get "the nuts" far too rarely, I am often dealt what I call "the Mertz". It's named for Fred and Ethel on the old I Love Lucy show -- a couple destined forever to be second bananas. Say you have pocket 6's in the big blind, and there's an early position limper, a raise, and two calls to you. You call and the early limper calls. Flop comes 2c-5s-9d. What the heck, you think, and you leadbet the flop. The betting comes back to you capped with everyone on board. You have "the Mertz".