Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2005, 09:41 AM

Default change in life

so on monday my company is going to be sending out letters to us employess offering us a incentive laden package to get us to leave the company. based on my job title and my seniority i will be walking away with about 25K (half upon departure, the rest spread out monthly over couple of years) and 6 full months of benefits. now i dont dislike this particular job 'that' much, however i dont have any desire to move up and i find the day to day work quite mudane. also the current state of poker makes the move instantly more profitable per hour.

i do have worries of course, namely the future of online poker. i have seen some posts where people are saying enjoy the gravay train, the bots are coming yaadadadadada and others saying that they expect the games to be good for a long time. i am somewhere in the middle. fortunatly, the middle would be enough for me to live pretty well.

i also dont have much documented education, most of it was learned either on the streets or by reading books on my own. i was a pretty troublesome kid, and found school to be not only boring but also a hinderance to my fake tough guy lifestyle. as a result i dropped out before the 9th grade and never went back. i ended up taking my GED test once it was available to me and passed with extreme ease.

i dunno, somewhat scary move but i feel confident that even if things go horribly wrong that i made a decision to do something i wanted to do and will somehow have to start somewhere and build a carerr.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

pokerjo, i am coming for you [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2005, 09:50 AM

Default Re: change in life

Play poker and take some college on the side. If you have no formal "income" school almost pays for itself if you go to like a community college or something. I found I enjoyed school a lot more after being away from it for awhile. Just a thought. As far as a high school diploma, I know my brother dropped out in like 10th grade, got a diploma online and now has a BA and no one has a clue. I'll look into how/where he got it.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:26 AM

I'm a crappy long term planner but if you convince MaxPower to drive to Foxwoods tomorrow and you show up we can tear up the 20 game.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:30 AM

I'm a crappy long term planner but if you convince MaxPower to drive to Foxwoods tomorrow and you show up we can tear up the 20 game.

sounds VERY tempting [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2005, 12:39 PM

i live near boston now, with a car and a driver's license so i'd be interested in going too. sublime don't be wussy if you want to play poker for a living try it. if pokre goes bad which it won't, it won't happen overnight, and even if it does you will not die.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:04 PM

Damn, from the subject line I thought this post was going to be about menopause.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Damn, from the subject line I thought this post was going to be about menopause.

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought he was coming out of the closet.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:12 PM

good luck sublime. how about starting a quest of some sort? come to think of it, i'm only interested in hearing stories about THUG LIFE. you can skip the poker if you want.

seriously though, good luck.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i thought he was coming out of the closet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wished he was...

[ QUOTE ]
pokerjo, I am coming for you

[/ QUOTE ]

*gulp*
Old 03-25-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
*gulp*

[/ QUOTE ]

The "*gulp*" combined with the tongue pic made me feel funny down there.