Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Angle shooting? -- I acted without thinking.

I flop a flush draw against 2 agressive players who don't give free cards. I'm second to act.

The first person bets 8 chips. For some reason I don't realize that he can only bet 4 chips and so I put 8 chips out.
Now LP calls and first postion 3-bets.

Should I make a deal out of this or just learn my lesson?
Old 03-24-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Angle shooting? -- I acted without thinking.

I would not say anything until the hand was over. To do otherwise would give away the strength of your hand.

After the hand I probably still would not say anything. The other player probably made an innocent mistake, and I should know the betting limits.

Paul
Old 03-24-2005, 04:19 PM

You don't lose any immediate EV by doing this. Even if there's _no_ chance of getting a free card I would probably cap it anyway with an overcard, if you have more than 9 outs you're better than 2 to 1 to hit by the river and pumping the pot makes your flush draw a more +EV proposition on the turn.

Don't try to take it back, you know it won't work. There's not point, and you only lose EV in the rare case that you are up against a higher flush draw.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:06 PM

after flopping a 4 flush, you will make the flush roughly 35% of the time by the river...a bit better than 1/3 of the time. raising with one player yet to act behind you is only +EV(and not by a lot, BTW) if you are absolutely SURE he/she will call, which is not really possible. if they fold, your play becomes -EV by a fairly large margin, especially if UTG 3-bets. remember, you still have a turn bet to call if your card doesn't come there.

cheers!
Old 03-25-2005, 05:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
after flopping a 4 flush, you will make the flush roughly 35% of the time by the river...a bit better than 1/3 of the time. raising with one player yet to act behind you is only +EV(and not by a lot, BTW) if you are absolutely SURE he/she will call, which is not really possible. if they fold, your play becomes -EV by a fairly large margin, especially if UTG 3-bets. remember, you still have a turn bet to call if your card doesn't come there.

cheers!

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to be sure that both players will call on both the flop and the turnfor this to be correct right?
Old 03-25-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on how much you value the button. I typically consider either a fold or a call from a player behind me to be a victory of some sort if a fold makes me last to act on later rounds.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:37 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

yeah but if either has a set, your equity gets [censored] in the butt
Old 03-25-2005, 04:43 PM

learn your lesson and move on. Not worth dwelling on.