Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2002, 03:24 AM

Default Mirage 20-40: Capped flop, Capped turn, & a $1800 river card

Measured by both big bets and dollars, this is the largest part I've contested so far. I believe I played the hand as best as I could so I'll present the hand without revealing where I am. I think that will make it a little more interesting in trying to read everybody's hand and figure out where I am at the table.

The game had just started within the half hour so I don't have any specific read on any other players who made it to the turn (I'm among the players who made it to the turn).

The hand:

It's 9-handed and everybody limps. Small blind completes. Big blind checks. 9 players see the flop. The pot is 4.5 big bets ($180).

The flop is: 7d,6h,5d

Here we go. The Small Blind bets out. Big Blind calls. UTG calls. UTG2 raises. MP1 calls. MP2 calls. Cutoff-1 calls. Cutoff calls. Button folds.

Small blind makes it 3 bets. Big blind folds. UTG folds. UTG2 makes it 4 bets. MP1 calls. MP2 calls. Cutoff-1 calls. Cutoff folds.

Small blind caps it at 5 bets. UTG2 calls. MP1 calls. MP2 calls. Cutoff-1 calls.

5 players make it to the turn (me included) for 5 bets each. The pot is 19 big bets ($760).

The turn is: 7d,6h,5d,3c

Small blind bets out again. UTG2 just calls this time. MP1 calls. MP2 calls. Cutoff-1 raises (first show of strength).

Small blind 3-bets again. UTG2 calls. MP1 calls MP2 calls. Cutoff-1 4-bets.

Small blind caps at 5 bets again. UTG2 calls. MP1 folds!!! (That's right, a fold). MP2 calls. Cutoff-1 calls.

Four players make it to the river for 5 bets each. The pot is 42 big bets ($1,680).

The river is: 7d,6h,5d,3c,2s

Small Blind bets. UTG2 folds. MP2 calls. Cutoff-1 raises.

Small blind 3-bets again. MP2 folds. Cutoff-1 calls.

Who's got what?

Small Blind?
UTG2?
MP1?
MP2?
Cutoff-1?

And for fun, which one was me?

Old 10-11-2002, 03:35 AM

Default Re: Mirage 20-40: Capped flop, Capped turn, & a $1800 river card

It's hard to imagine SB having anything but 89...
Old 10-11-2002, 03:35 AM

I have no clue but that's the craziest pot I've ever heard of. WOW!!!!

PokerPrince
Old 10-11-2002, 03:49 AM

Default Wow!

[img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I figure SB for 89. I assume there was an AdXd and maybe KdXd, plus a flopped set of 7's somewhere. But that's all I got, and I'm no good at this poker stuff anyway [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2002, 04:24 AM

Default JUST TELL ME YOU WON THE HAND

PLEASE TELL ME YOU WON THAT HAND, so you can fly me out to Vegas this January......and we can go back and play 4-8 hold'em like normal human beings.....hmmm.....

Let's see...if I had to guess....You were the SB....and flopped a straight.....8h9h.....that would be my guess...only reason to cap it too.....and you were up against Ah4h......that's the only thing I can think of...which would making it play that way...with all that action....or you are up against 5h4h.

**PLEASE SAY YOU WON THIS ONE!!!!

WHOEVER WON IT- THAT'S A NICE SCORE!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2002, 09:02 AM

The only thing that makes sense is that both SB and CO-1 have 89 (suited or not makes no difference) [I expect that you're SB because a player holding 89 should realize that he/she needs to play fast in order to charge the max to someone with a potential higher straight who's hoping for an 8 and/or 9 to arrive, and CO-1 waits for the turn to raise, which I think is leaving things a bit late].

MP1 and MP2 could have flush draws, but I'd expect 77 and 66. Wow, what a hand, and the leader(s) on the flop never get counterfeited.
Old 10-11-2002, 09:46 AM

UTG2:88
SB:89
Cutoff-1: 4d8d (YOU)
MP1: 67o
MP2 55
Old 10-11-2002, 10:12 AM

UTG2: 77 or other set, drops when he doesn't fill up.
SB: 89s, played the flopped str8 very strongly
M1: probably some small flush draw and finally realized the nut draw was out there and he was dead.
M2: 66, 76, or some other set or 2 pair that didn't fill.
CO: A4d, raising the ignornant end of str8 thinking it's good? That's all I can figure him for.

You're the SB and took it down because you only post the hands where you win [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2002, 12:07 PM

These sound confident, but they're not. People often surprise me with what they find themselves in a pot with -- which is good thing, actually...

Who's got what?
Small Blind & C-1 have 89 for a split.
UTG2 had the nut flush draw or a set.
MP1 folded a 4 on the turn, convinced the higher straight was out.
MP2 had a set or the nut flush draw with a 4.

Which one is Dynasty

You cannot be Cut-off 1, because he didn't play the small straight fast on the flop in a big pot. I suspect you also would have made one more river raise just in case.

You cannot be MP2, because he makes a foolish call on the river.

You are unlikely to be MP1 w/ exactly 44, but I think he lost too much with whatever he had, so I doubt it. You are also seemed shocked that he had a hand he could fold.

That leaves UTG2 and small-blind for you.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:46 PM

Most exciting post ever! Was Bob Morgan in the pot? [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

My guesses:

SB had 9-8 = Dynasty; he bet and raised at every opportunity and thus must have had the nuts

UTG2 raised the flop twice, but just called when a 4th straight card hit on the turn. He had a set or perhaps top two pair.

MP1 had a coronary for sure, and a 4 for maybe.

MP2 called every bet (never raised) and folded at the end. He is the anti-Dynasty. 7-6s?

cutoff-1 = pocket 4s or Ad-4d or, less likely, another 9-8 and just decided to call on the river assuming a split pot

Altogether too complicated for me. How did you remember all the action?

So the games in Vegas are much tighter than in L.A.? [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]