Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Party/Empire 0.5/1.0 AA Win %
<54 0 0%
54-58 1 1.92%
58-62 0 0%
62-66 4 7.69%
66-70 5 9.62%
70-74 10 19.23%
74-78 12 23.08%
78-82 12 23.08%
82-86 4 7.69%
>86 4 7.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2005, 03:20 PM

Default To Those Who Beat this Game for 2.5BB+/100...

To those who beat this game for 2.5BB+/100... What do you believe is the single most important factor to your success?

Although I don't like polls ('cause many of the results on 2+2 only depress me lol), I'm creating one below with some examples just to get some discussion going. Please note: Since I don't know what leads to such high numbers, some or all of my suggestions may be completely moronic... that's what the reply link is for.

Since I currently cannot seem to find areas to improve my game, but am also not crushing $3/$6 over 200,000+ hands, I plan to take the day off to reflect, and hopefully dig deeper into the useful responses to the post. This is not a whining post at all, 'cause I am very satisfied with my earn... Just looking to improve [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Requirement: 2.5BB+/100 must be over the course of at least 100,000 hands! (and preferably online while multitabling) Limit Hold 'em only, and small stakes ($2/$4) or greater preferred.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:24 PM

Default Re: To Those Who Beat this Game for 2.5BB+/100...

You left out the most obvious choice: Dumb luck. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2005, 03:26 PM

I think most who reply will face what i did - it's a compilation of the different reasons you mentioned.

1) read every strategy post in mid-high and small stakes and reply when you can

2) study your pokertracker and spend time understanding your numbers - what a great tool that is.

3) use/learn table selection, but understand there is an opportunity cost in time lost being too particular about the tables

4) understand odds and theory cold.

5) understand post-flop play in relation to your read on your opponent. and try to have a read most of the time.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:27 PM

adaptability and flexibility
Old 03-21-2005, 03:49 PM

other: i don't do any of those things particularly well.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) read every strategy post in mid-high and small stakes and reply when you can

[/ QUOTE ]

How much time would you say you spend per day doing this, while all the "fun" topics are tempting you to waste time in the General and Internet forums? (I avoid OOT completely, probably for the better)

[ QUOTE ]
2) study your pokertracker and spend time understanding your numbers - what a great tool that is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never been good at this... I normally just use it for player notes and to track my progress. Searching for hands that I know are worth reviewing is a skill I never developed. Any suggestions?

[ QUOTE ]
3) use/learn table selection, but understand there is an opportunity cost in time lost being too particular about the tables

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

[ QUOTE ]
4) understand odds and theory cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is my main weakness, which is why it was the first poll response. It's embarassing for me to say this, but I've never spent time on this stuff.

I basically figured out while I was playing micros that if I flop an OESD or 4-flush, see the river. I don't chase gut shots, and if I miss the flop with my AK, I will fold the turn unimproved if my opponents are playing back at me and I don't have other draws (i.e. gutshot/backdoor flush).

I have never ever really concentrated on calculating my outs/odds in a hand, save for my general strategies above. This is probably a huge problem.

[ QUOTE ]
5) understand post-flop play in relation to your read on your opponent. and try to have a read most of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the most recent thing I have worked on, and I am glad that I did.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:08 PM

crap, I thought this included NL. When I 4-table limit, I'm not quite at 2.5BB/100.

I think at 2/4, you can just play ABC poker and be successful.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:13 PM

eamil hands to yourself as you paly for later review

evaluate your positon stats, and as your db grows isolate stuff like steals and defenses and stuff like wtsd and bets after pfring

after a bad session sort your hands by biggest losses and review them..seeing oppoents suck will be re-assusring, and seeing you overplay will be insturctive

read posts and try to reply with a mathematical analysis
Old 03-21-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
crap, I thought this included NL. When I 4-table limit, I'm not quite at 2.5BB/100.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a problem... I highly respect your opinion regardless.

[ QUOTE ]
I think at 2/4, you can just play ABC poker and be successful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Successful meaning 2.5BB+/100?
Old 03-21-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
read posts and try to reply with a mathematical analysis

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you learn how to incorporate mathematical analysis? 2+2? Any other good books, websites etc? I'm looking at pokersavvy.com's "Understanding Odds" right now.

I did well in college statistics, but that was 8 years ago, so it is long forgotten.