Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2005, 08:49 PM

Default Bluff stop-and-go on the bubble

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (4 handed) converter

Button (t2660)
SB (t1040)
Hero (t2010)
UTG (t2290)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t800</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t400.

Flop: (t1800) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero is all-in.

What do y'all think of this play? Villain had min-raised my last BB and had generally been agressive preflop. The plan was to push any flop.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:53 PM

Default Re: Bluff stop-and-go on the bubble

I for one don't like it.

It's risky, and the short stack makes the downside of the risk greeater than the upside, I think.

-Jman28
Old 03-18-2005, 08:55 PM

bwahahaha, cocky ilya, i like it. hes gonna be as scared of that bored as anything. especially if he doesnt have an ace with a spade. it IS risky, but it has its merits. holla
Old 03-18-2005, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bwahahaha, cocky ilya, i like it. hes gonna be as scared of that bored as anything. especially if he doesnt have an ace with a spade. it IS risky, but it has its merits. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the flop bet because of the flop texture, but he planned on pushing any board. I don't like the stop-n-go here preflop.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:04 PM

I agree with J-man on this one. Furthermore, there is a pretty decent chance that your opponent has EITHER an ace or a decent spade, either one of which will be enough to get him to call you.

Seems like Fancy Play Syndrome to me, or just trying to bluff a bad player. I make these kind of moves sometimes but I usually end up regretting them.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with J-man on this one. Furthermore, there is a pretty decent chance that your opponent has EITHER an ace or a decent spade, either one of which will be enough to get him to call you.

[/ QUOTE ]

The board is irrelevant for evaluating the play, since the heart of the whole play is going all-in on any board (except I guess if I flop a monster).

I think this was a pretty good play but I'm gonna wait a bit before posting my defense.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:15 PM

I don't like it at all.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't like it at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-18-2005, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The board is irrelevant for evaluating the play, since the heart of the whole play is going all-in on any board (except I guess if I flop a monster).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if a 'stop-n-go' must be done without any regards to the flop, then I think it is a terrible play. Just because you plan on probably pushing the flop after calling (stopping and going), doesn't mean you shouldn't have an escape hatch if the flop is really bad. Really I think its just silly not to use the information of what comes on the flop in making your decision, no matter what your plan was pre-flop.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if a 'stop-n-go' must be done without any regards to the flop, then I think it is a terrible play. Just because you plan on probably pushing the flop after calling (stopping and going), doesn't mean you shouldn't have an escape hatch if the flop is really bad. Really I think its just silly not to use the information of what comes on the flop in making your decision, no matter what your plan was pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying you think the very idea of a stop-and-go play is terrible, or that this is a terrible place for it?
I think if you're saying the former, you definitely have a leak.