Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2005, 06:34 PM

Default Lay Down JJ Here?

Needless to say, very early in the tourney. $50 Step 2 PP Tourney

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (10 handed) converter

Hero (t985)
MP3 (t990)
CO (t955)
Button (t875)
SB (t945)
BB (t1000)
UTG (t1015)
UTG+1 (t920)
UTG+2 (t1300)
MP1 (t1015)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls t30, UTG+1 calls t30, UTG+2 calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t30, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (t195) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t100</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises to t275</font>, Hero folds

I did not want to raise preflop because too often I've played these PP SNGs and had two or three people call large preflop raises early in a tourney. Although, I must say, this table had been playing very tight up to this point. The majority of hands had been won preflop, and a few of those included everyone folding to the BB.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Lay Down JJ Here?

not that necessarilly limping was wrong, but "i didn't want to raise my good hand for value because i thought a couple of people might dumbly call" is very bad.

citanul
Old 03-18-2005, 06:50 PM

Raise here preflop and this hand is much easier to play IMO. I would go allin here, I have no respect for these guys. If the raiser had JJ beat he'd often slowplay with so many opponents behind him.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:56 PM

I have much to learn it seems. My thinking was that if I raise and get two callers, let's say, and one or more overcards hit the flop, my hand is pretty much dead, although I do have position on everyone else if the button would have folded a raise. I hate playing a PP when one or more overcards on the board. But I guess I've got to get over that to be a good poker player.

BTW, what is the legit rason for limping in that spot?
Old 03-18-2005, 06:59 PM

I think just moving allin might be better than limping (I'm not advocating this play, just comparing it). You'll get called by weaker hands more often than you think. These guys don't want to fold their 77.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the raiser had JJ beat he'd often slowplay with so many opponents behind him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which raiser are you talking about? And I'm not sure I follow your "slowplay" comment.

[ QUOTE ]
I think just moving allin might be better than limping (I'm not advocating this play, just comparing it).

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, I did not even consider moving all-in at this stage of the tourney.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:01 PM

What I meant was on the flop someone bet 100 and someone immediatley raised to 275. If he had a HUGE hand, he would often call, hoping to trap in the many players behind him. By just calling it seems as though he's trying to protect his hand, and thus could be somehting that isn't so strong.

One other note, for some reason I thought this was a $11 tourney, now I realize its a $55 step, I'll have a little more respect for my opponents here.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By just calling

[/ QUOTE ]

do you mean calling or raising? By raising it seems like he is trying to protect his hand. No?
Old 03-18-2005, 07:29 PM

When he raises he is trying to protect his hand, which may not be that strong. It's a tough situation really, some guys will play big hands fast there.

I'd still just go allin and pray, I think chances of having the best hand are decent, but I could be very wrong about this.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J, J.
UTG calls t30, UTG+1 calls t30, UTG+2 calls t30, 1 fold, Hero calls t30, 2 folds, Button calls t30, 1 fold, BB checks.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]Horrible, Absolutely horrible! YOU DON'T SMOOTH-CALL JJ PREFLOP WHEN THERE ARE 3 CALLERS BEHIND YOU, AND 5 PEOPLE TO ACT. You really WANTED people to win off of you, didn't you?
There's two ways to play JJ preflop: raise a ton, get 1 caller, 2 max, OR smooth-call and get money in the pot so you can fold if you don't hit anything and have potential callers if the flop gives you a good hand. The second strategy is only for with MAYBE 3 other people in the hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: (t195) 6, 9, 3 (6 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 bets t100, UTG+2 raises to t275, Hero folds

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]Hey! Your smooth call payed off! You have a good flop, and many people are in the hand. No overcards, no draws, no cards that people would have two pair with like 96, 93, 63 (all of them bad hands, so we can think that people won't have them), people probably don't have 99, because someone would've RAISED PREFLOP, there probably isn't someone w/ 66, because they would've RAISED PREFLOP, 33, not much chance. So you have an AWESOME chance to possibly triple up, or maybe take 500 from each person, but you fold after a raise of 1/5 your stack.
But to answer:
[ QUOTE ]
Lay Down JJ Here?

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]NO!

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Bling.