Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2005, 03:50 PM

Default I\'m just not disciplined...

Easily the biggest flaw in my game is playing in games which my bankroll cant not afford. I always try to make it a rule to have 10x-20x the buy-in for games I enter, but i can never follow it. I find myself joining games for a huge percentage of my bankroll very frequently, and I enjoy playing like this for some reason. However, knowing that this is awful bankroll management, I need to fix this. Everytime i try to fix this problem, I can't I always get that feeling of doubling my bankroll in one game, which I usually do, but sometimes don't. Does anybody have any ideas on how I could follow my 10-20x the buy in rule? I don't want to punish myself for breaking it or anything, but I find it extremely hard not to.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Re: I\'m just not disciplined...

IMHO this is not a problem if a) you can beat the games you're sitting in b) your bankroll is replenishable and c) you aren't doing this for a living. If you only enjoy the game playing at stakes that give you some kind of buzz there's no shame in that. If you get a bad run of cards and bust out, just wait till you can afford to play the game again
Old 03-18-2005, 04:04 PM

if you're playing online you could cash out (not necessarily spend but not keep at the site) all but 10-20 buyins.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:21 PM

The Reason That I am posting this is because i lost $600 of my $750 bankroll in 2 hands. I had AA twice in a row, and lost to J7h (running flush) and J8 (two pair), even though i bet big preflop and pushed the flop (the guy who called me was a maniac). Losing doesn't bother me, but say I was only sitting at this table with $50. I'd lose $100 overall, but the other 5-6 times I would win $50. Because I cant seem to practice good bankroll management, I never see "long term" results.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:41 PM

Maybe cut off your hands?