Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2005, 01:33 PM

Default Court Advice Sought

OK here's the deal.

I must to appear to serve on jury duty ("petit juror") in the near future, but I can foresee a potential problem.

My friend, who has served previously, tells me that in his experience the judge instructs everyone that they must show respect for the court by wearing business-suit-type of attire.

Here's the problem: I have gained so much weight from playing almost exclusively online for almost two years, that all I can fit into now is my sweatpants. Also, I am at a particular girth where the next size up in slacks or real pants would be a HUGE leap in terms of fit, and any dress pants I would wear at that size would look like balloons in the legs and hip areas. Yet at the next size down (my old pants) I can't even begin to fasten the waist button, so wearing a belt and a tucked in dress shirt would be out of the question.

So..what the heck can I do? I have to appear for jury duty in less than two weeks. Should I show up for the preliminary day in sweats and just hope they don't select me for further service?

I think jury service would be interesting (as long it was a trial of moderately short length, not weeks or anything like that) and I don't mind doing my civic duty. But I just don't know what to do if the judge instructs everyone to show up in business attire (could I possibly be held in contempt of court for dressing like a bum if I don't?).

Needless to say, I cannot lose the necessary blubber in time to fit into my old pants before jury duty. I do not want to look like a goofball with super-baggy pants either, which is what I would look like if I went out now and bought pants that I could fasten at the waist. Seriously the next size up on me would look like those kids wearing hip-hop style pants or something. Nor do I think it makes any financial sense to purchase up to several pairs of such pants just for the jury duty, since I will be losing this weight as I am going to start swimming again soon (walking a few times a week just isn't cutting it).

Any advice will be appreciated! Thanks.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Court Advice Sought

just try to do your best. you'd have to do a lot more to be held in contempt, i'm sure.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:37 PM

Just go to Marshall's or something equivalent and pick up $50 worth of stuff--then head over to the gym. There is no way you will look more goofy in anything than in sweat pants.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:38 PM

Just tag some new ones. It's easy.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:39 PM

I don't know; I mean I have tried on the next size up and it is simply HUGE on me. It's like they cut it for elephants or something.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:40 PM

Do you not ever go out in public?
Old 03-17-2005, 01:40 PM

I'm surprised you're asking this question since you should be familiar with this woman who wore a Star Trek uniform to the Whitewater trial.

Old 03-17-2005, 01:42 PM

what's so hard about buying new pants? Dockers has thoose khakis w/the elastic waist so you can grow or retract a few inches and still be good to go.

If you're not in the mood to even go shopping for pants, can't you order online while you sit out a few hands?

Showing up to jury duty in sweatpants isn't an option. It's kind of a mockery don't you think and like Seinfeld says, showing up in the real world w/sweatpants on means you've given up. .

Getting in shape is probably the best thing that you can do for yourself.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:43 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
I must to appear to serve on jury duty ("petit juror")

[/ QUOTE ]

why don't ya give me ape tit for $200?
Old 03-17-2005, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you not ever go out in public?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I do, in my sweatpants. Nothing else fits anymore.