Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2005, 03:23 AM

Default Why UNC > Dook

This is a recurring discussion I have with Dook fans.

Of course I hate Dook. It's reflexive, I can't help it. I hate everyone that plays for Dook, roots for Dook, thinks about Dook, coaches Dook, wipes a Dook player's pampered, overhyped ass for him, has gay sex with a starting Dook guard (who doesn't take off the undershirt BTW), etc. I have no choice. I was born and bred a Tarheel fan.

I have to admit, Dook has pwned UNC head-to-head lately. But here's the reason UNC is historically a better program, (aside from having more class, better fans, a better legendary coach, and better parties).

Best Duke players of all time, and where are they now?

Laettner is a journeyman forward too slow to be a 3, too wimpy to be a 4, pretty much a mediocre roleplayer throughout his career.

Grant Hill can't walk to the mailbox without spraining something.

Hurley and Williams got in ridiculous car accidents before playing a single game and are useless.

Only Dook player I can think of doing much in the NBA is Brand, he deserves a bit of respect.

Now, for UNC, we have...

Jordan, Worthy, Perkins, Jamison, Stackhouse, Carter, etc.

Also a number of key role players in the NBA have come from UNC - Sheed, Brendan Haywood, Jeff McInnis, etc.

Discuss.

NT
Old 03-17-2005, 03:28 AM

Default Re: Why UNC > Dook

[ QUOTE ]
Discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your argument in favor of UNC's superiority is that their "better legendary coach" won fewer national championships with significantly better players?
Old 03-17-2005, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your argument in favor of UNC's superiority is that their "better legendary coach" won fewer national championships with significantly better players?

[/ QUOTE ]

ni han
Old 03-17-2005, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch.

No, my argument is that he wasn't a total douche and a disciple of the most colossal bastard in the history of basketball. The coach thing, more aesthetic.

NT
Old 03-17-2005, 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch.

No, my argument is that he wasn't a total douche and a disciple of the most colossal bastard in the history of basketball. The coach thing, more aesthetic.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, time for the Hoosier fan to step in. Yeah - Coach K is a former Knight guy. And you know what? I bet that's got just a LITTLE bit to do with why he can take any recruiting class and keep his team in the top 4 or 5 . Every. Freaking. Year.

And while a lot of outsiders (read "people who only know about Coach Knight for the negative press he gets") think he's a colossal bastard, ask 99.9% of the people that have every played for him. They'll tell you that not only did they come out better basketball players, but better men.

Oh yeah, and he's also the last coach to go undefeated through the entire regular season and the tourney to win the National Title. Of which he DOES have 3 (and could very well have another one or two by the end of his career if he ever get out of the basketball hellhole that is Lubbock, Texas.)
Old 03-17-2005, 03:38 AM

How clever, you have changed the spelling of Duke so that it is now spelled the same way as a slang term for defecation.

btw you missed one:
[ QUOTE ]

Best Duke players of all time, and where are they now?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-17-2005, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ask 99.9% of the people that have every played for him. They'll tell you that not only did they come out better basketball players, but better men.

[/ QUOTE ]

interesting how you can say the same thing about Coach K. I have a lot of respect for Knight as well and think he's really gotten an undeserved bad rep.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:43 AM

I'm sorry, are you actually dissing Bob Knight?

Bob Knight is the [censored] man. Talk smack about Coach K all you want but he had an awesome teacher.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry, are you actually dissing Bob Knight?

Bob Knight pwns. Talk smack about Coach K all you want but Coach K had an awesome teacher.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you possibly say Bob Knight pwns and then say to talk smack about Coach K? Either they both pwn or you hate them both.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Either they both pwn or you hate them both.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not true. Just because Bob Knight taught Coach K how to coach doesn't mean that I have to think that either both of them pwn or neither of them pwn.

You can hate awesome coaches. I don't hate either of them. I just don't like Coach K's attitude.

I think Bob Knight is one cool dude though. If SU didn't already have Boeheim, I'd have loved for him to come coach here(probably would never happen though).