FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 08:11 PM

Default any electricians here?

having a problem with a circuit
three prong outlets:
i measure hot(black)and neutral(white) and get about 100vac
i measure the hot and ground and i get 120vac
i measure neutral to ground (just out of curiousity) and get about 3vac
nothing (no two prong appliance, charger, anything), i plug into the outlets works, and the breaker isnt tripping
im no electrician, but ive never seen something like this
what could cause this problem?
Old 03-16-2005, 08:20 PM

Default Re: any electricians here?

Can you plug a desk lamp into the outlet? A light bulb will run on less than 110 volts but many other appliances will not. You probably have either a loose or bad connection in the neutral somewhere, but I'm no expert. That neutral to ground voltage is too high that's for sure.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:22 PM

i can plug a lamp in if i wanted i suppose. will it tell me anything? i already know im only getting 100v from the outlet
?
Old 03-16-2005, 08:35 PM

Well it would just confirm that the problem is indeed low voltage, I was under the impression you weren't sure. If you are sure then the first thing you can check is the voltage between the hot and neutral that connenct to the outlet and see if the bad connection is there. If that doesn't work you should check the neutral bus bar at the breaker box and make sure there are no loose connections there. Also look for any blackened areas that would indicate a loose connection.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:52 PM

update
i turned the breaker off then back on(it wasnt tripped), voila, now im getting 120 from all the outlets on the circuit
whats up with that?
more update, prior to turning the breaker off then on, i took the plates off all the outlets to look at the wiring. one of the outlets looks like a child wired it.
theres two cables coming into the box. one has its black hook up to the top right post of the outlet, its white to the top left, ground to ground. cable B has its white connected to the lower RIGHT post, its black is capped off (the wire inside the cap was clipped and not stripped at all, making me think it was never used), the ground is to ground.
after i did the off/on with the breaker, the voltage was correct on this outlet from hot/neutral on both the top and bottom
also, from the top right wire (black) to the ground was 120, and from the bottom right (white) was 120. doesnt make sense to me that theres both a black and a white wire on the same side of the outlet.
any insight here?
the house is new (2 years), im quite sure the builder was a jackass. if the neutral is connected to the hot, wouldnt that cause a constant problem?
Old 03-16-2005, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
update
i turned the breaker off then back on(it wasnt tripped), voila, now im getting 120 from all the outlets on the circuit
whats up with that?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I should have thought of that. The breaker sometimes will partially pop and you have to reset. That doesn't explain how you were able to get 120V from hot to ground though, which is why I assumed the breaker was not the issue.
[ QUOTE ]

also, from the top right wire (black) to the ground was 120, and from the bottom right (white) was 120. doesnt make sense to me that theres both a black and a white wire on the same side of the outlet.
any insight here?
the house is new (2 years), im quite sure the builder was a jackass. if the neutral is connected to the hot, wouldnt that cause a constant problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the neutral was connected to the hot the breaker would immediately pop so that white wire on the bottom right cannot be the neutral. That wire probably goes to a light switch or something. Just goes to show that you can never trust the colors of the wires.

Glad to hear you fixed the problem.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:24 PM

i dont know if its "fixed"
id like to know what caused the apparent partial blow (are you sure about the partial blow thing, ive never heard of such a thing)
i just thought of something, the white wire that appears misplaced is probably for the light above the stove, the outlet is behind the stove
thanks for your support!
Old 03-16-2005, 09:43 PM

fark!!
i plug the stove back in a try it out. seconds after turning on the oven, it cut out.
looks like its back to 100v again
turning the oven on started this whole mess in the first place
great
wtf!?!?!
Old 03-16-2005, 09:52 PM

fark!! fark!!!
now flipping the breaker off then on doesnt get me the 120 back to the outlets
fark!!
Old 03-17-2005, 01:52 AM

Sounds like a bad circuit breaker. They're cheap and easy to replace.