Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 07:03 PM

Default mediocre hands out of position

This is something that I keep going back and forth on. Sometimes I check-fold the flop, sometimes I check-raise and fold to turn raise, sometimes I check-call it down as long as no A/K shows up. Anyone have a standard way of playing this against unknowns?

---------------

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.66 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ???
Old 03-16-2005, 08:40 PM

Default Re: mediocre hands out of position

With this sort of hand I would bet the flop, and call a raise. Then I would checkfold if a K or A hit, but bet again on any other card. When you are popped again on the turn, you can be fairly sure you are up against a bigger pair (or KQ AQ), and fold your 2 outer. But this way of playing it prevents the villain from taking a free card to hit his ace or king on the river.

I would deviate from this plan if the turn was a diamond, in which case I would check call, as I wouldn't want to fold a hand with 6 or 7 outs to a raise.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:37 PM

what if the turn is a J/9
Old 03-16-2005, 10:39 PM

check and call and see a turn.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:21 AM

Good point sir, same drill there as with flush draw. Check, call.

CDC - why do you propose check calling the flop? There is a good chance hero is ahead here, so why risk giving a free card to someone holding AK? Granted most players are going to bet this flop when checked to regardless, but I feel a bet here certainly can't hurt you, as it disguises your hand a little better, and might pick up the pot on the turn when no A or K falls.

If you checkcall the flop, do you lead the turn or attempt another checkcall - I don't like the second option because of the chance it gets checked through on you.