Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 04:53 AM

Default A little self introductory, and in need of advice.

I am 17 years old and I play online poker under an adults name, so it is actually legally registered. My bankroll is 800$ right now. Let me give you a little background about myself and my online career.
I dropped out of highschool at 16 and promptly got my GED and started community college, which is where I am at right now. I figured I would save a year and also the hours are alot shorter at college, even though im full time, so it is less work. I come from a relatively poor family, and pay for college with your tax dollars (thanks guys!).
Anyway I started playing poker about 2 years ago along with the 2003 WSOP broadcasting like alot of others. Started playing online about a year ago and boy what a rush its been. First I deposited 100$ and lost it all playing party poker 5+1 SNG's. Actually as I look back at my records back then I was a winning player if not for the monstrous rake.
So after losing that in about 2 months I read every book I could find on poker (and I mean every one, I have every major poker book) and started playing the freeroll circuit. Eventually I caught a brake and got a bankroll up and rolling again. On a side note, anyone who cant make money at online poker or asks to be staked is lazy or refuses to play low stakes. There are plenty of freerolls and low limit games to get anybody started out there. Anyway I started playing the cash games on prima and was doing really well. I got up too the 2-4 NL game then cashed out 1k, leaving my bankroll at 1,500.
I cannot possibly express how proud I was at 16 to have made 1k, greatest feeling ever. Also I think my mom finally understood what I was doing, instead of just gambling. So then disaster struck as I got hit with a really really cold deck and lost my bankroll, first half to cold cards and second half to frustration and anger, you know the drill. So there I was with nothing and decided I was going to rebuild again.
I did and decided to go back to my roots, the SNG's, Now I have a healthy bankroll and am showing good returns on the 20+2 SNG's on party. Anyway thats where I am at right now.
Even before poker I was a games player, I always have been. You remember magic the gathering? the game jon murphy explained on the WSOP broadcast, I used to play that too. Chess and countless other games where my bread and butter. The money I got to start with on online poker was all from these games, as I used to go to tournaments and do well. I feel my background in these games and my will to study the game has really helped me out.
My ambition now is to make a living off this game. I really want to play professionally online. I play about 40 hours a weak and I browse online poker sites(and other games that I still play sites) wile playing online poker. I really want to become a part of this community as I think it will help me out, which is why im posting this.
Im trying to work my way up to the higher level SNG's, high enough to make a living at, and would like some advice from people who have already made it about what I am going to run into and in general what I should be doing.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:38 AM

Default Re: A little self introductory, and in need of advice.

Tilt is the biggest problem for most poker players, even those who are serious about the game. Learn to play well, and then don't play at all when you aren't playing well.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:06 AM

I don't think you can really make a living playing only SNG's. Go back to ring games, preferably limit. Good bankroll management is key. Don't play 2-4 NL with 2500, that is only 6,25 x buyin which is too low.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:09 AM

welcome to the forum. I asked around before, and the general consensus is that limit is more profitable.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you can really make a living playing only SNG's.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:13 PM

Of course you can make a living at sngs.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am only 17 years old and play online under an adult's name

[/ QUOTE ]

I (should be we) do not support underage gambling. In addition I think your overall outlook on the online game is unhealthy, especially at your age.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:02 PM

Sounds like you got a good shot at this.
YOU got 3 good things going for you.

1) Gamers Background
2) Highly motivated
3) Lots of Time
4) you realize your first weakness (formal training; the guys here who talk theory have a pile of letters after their names and can fall back on that when poker doesn't work, you can't) and have read as much about poker as you can.

My short advice, This may not be to your liking but I believe that if you want to stick to bread and butter, switch to LIMit games.
Game/Table selection is better, variance is lower and the real money is made by just playing more RAW numbers of hands.
I also believe that there is MORE good information about LImit hold'em than NL. If you check out the books Forum,
for every NL or Sit n go type book there are 4-5 LImit books. There is one forum here for 'ont table tournaments' and 4 for limit, micro, small stakes, mid-high stakes, short handed and HU.

If your skill is really at Sit N' go's then so be it, but if you are good at games and are willing to learn.. Switch now, to 1-2 Full ring games (for your bankroll), then eventually add tables, untill you can 4 table.
when your BR and +BB/100 hands says you are a definite winner at 1-2 then move to 2-4.. then 3-6..
Oh, Of course sign up with a Reputable Affiliate and get a decent rake back.

Mindflayer
Old 03-16-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am only 17 years old and play online under an adult's name

[/ QUOTE ]

I (should be we) do not support underage gambling. In addition I think your overall outlook on the online game is unhealthy, especially at your age.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

And use paragraphs.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On a side note, anyone who cant make money at online poker or asks to be staked is lazy or refuses to play low stakes. There are plenty of freerolls and low limit games to get anybody started out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a completely erroneous statement.

Supposing you could make $40 per hour playing small stakes, but instead you work out a deal where you can make $80 per hour while getting staked? Would you still be considered lazy for taking the deal that makes you more money?