Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 02:36 AM

Default Thoughts on B-roll requirements/money mgt.

Had to drop levels on SGn's last time for the first time in my short SnG career.

I probaby avg 3 tables and 15-20 games per day. I like to keep 40xbuy in in my roll. When I cash out I leave exactly 40x to play with. last week when I dropped below 30 (actually 27) I lowered my limit till I got back to 33 buy ins at original level.

I would be very interested to hear how the rest of you players manage your $$$$
Old 03-16-2005, 02:48 AM

Default Re: Thoughts on B-roll requirements/money mgt.

Good post.

This isn't what I do, but it's what I am thinking about doing. I would be interested to see what other think/do.

Keep 2X the BR recommended by the AM spreadsheet (I also wear suspenders with a belt). At the end of whatever I consider a payperiod to be, remove 90% of the excess from that amount.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:35 AM

Well. I'm hitting the $50s now and only have around 30 buyins. I'll keep playing there until I drop to 20 buyins, at which point I'll drop to the $30s. When I drop to 20 buyins there, I'll move to the $20s etc. This means I'll probally hover between the $30s and $50s for a bit. Risk is low, and if I have a good run before a poor run at the $50s I'll never have to drop back down.

40x buyin is not necessary unless you can't afford to drop down a limit or 2. If you can't afford to drop down a limit or 2, then you are probally over your head financially??

When my BR is 30x $109 I'll try out the $109s (which I'll probally stuggle badly in [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img])

I guess my aim isn't a consistent hourly rate, but to move up to the $109s as quick as possible without being a -EV player.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:41 AM

This is what I'm doing also, but I'm still in the $30s. Good to know that someone else is on the same track.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:44 AM

I think 40X buy-in is a solid number. Depends on if that's your entire roll or if you have reserve in Netteller, etc. Moving down at 30 buy-in's would be prudent. It doesn't take a horrible run to drop 10-15 buy-in's and in my experience, when I drop below 20 buy-in's it started affecting my play - below 20 buy-in's the bad beats mattered, and you should never be playing at a level where they matter.

Pep.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well. I'm hitting the $50s now and only have around 30 buyins. I'll keep playing there until I drop to 20 buyins, at which point I'll drop to the $30s. When I drop to 20 buyins there, I'll move to the $20s etc. This means I'll probally hover between the $30s and $50s for a bit. Risk is low, and if I have a good run before a poor run at the $50s I'll never have to drop back down.

40x buyin is not necessary unless you can't afford to drop down a limit or 2. If you can't afford to drop down a limit or 2, then you are probally over your head financially??

[/ QUOTE ]

If my goals were the same as yours, I would play identically and I think it would be fun. The 40X Buy is just to be safe. I'll be doing some living out of my roll in the near future and am just trying to come up with a safe, responsible plan.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:29 AM

"I'll be doing some living out of my roll in the near future"

I'm living off my roll right now, which is kinda frustrating thanks to all the outdraws I've had in the last 550 sngs [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]. HOWEVER, I'm not at a point though where I *have* to be making money, ie I can afford a 'breakeven' run where I'm trying out the $50s or whatever.

"am just trying to come up with a safe, responsible plan."

My plan is pretty safe, it just doesn't promise ME the consistent income that I'd get from playing comfortably within my limits. I think this is the best strategy to take, even if you have to live off your BR, as long as you can beat the next level enough to not take much of a hit in $/hr. If you have to live off your roll and don't think you can make similiar $/hr at the next level, then sure I would agree to take it slower.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:41 AM

I can't bear to play anything without 100x the buyin. Obviously this is tighter than necessary, but it just makes me feel better not to have to drop down if I have some learning pains.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I can't bear to play anything without 100x the buyin. Obviously this is tighter than necessary, but it just makes me feel better not to have to drop down if I have some learning pains.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious, have you EVER gone below 50 buy-in's?! 100X just seems morbidly conservative. But I'd sure like to know if you have. I might need to re-think my 40X stance.

Pe.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:07 AM

I have on rare occasions, but very rarely. I don't mind gambling when I'm actually in the game, but before I sit down I'm a rock. Anyway it's worked out so far, but maybe I'd be doing better if I was more of a gambler?