Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Is there a big difference in $33 vs. $22?

I stepped up to play in the $33 Party Poker single table tournaments. I played 2 tables last night and finished 6th both times. I didn't have much to work with card wise, so I am not upset with my play.

What I did notice is that the play was considerably tighter. At the $11 and $22 there is usually one bust out at the first level and one or two bust outs and the second level. In the $33 everyone survived until level 3. In both I had 7 players left at level 5.

Is this normal?

Do you need to bluff more often to beat these games and move these tight players off their hands?
Old 03-15-2005, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Is there a big difference in $33 vs. $22?

Thats what happens to me at the $5 and $10's at pokerroom.

At pokerroom.com Iam able to beat the $20-$30's regularly. I think its normal for someone to get out at 3-4 levels, I dont really expect anyone getting out earlier. I dont think ive ever seen someone out in the first level in $22.

You should be playing tight throughout levels 3-4 anyway, so I think you need to make that adjustment, if your not already.

Its always been my experience that 20's and 30's are pretty much the same skill level. So maybe those games were just a little tighter than usual.

Id also like to make a comment about how I couldnt beat $10 and $5 at pokerroom.com, those who didnt believe me that I was winning at $22's. I noticed after playing a lot more of the $5-$10's, at i think its level 6, blinds 200-400, there were always 4-5 players still left, often even at 300-600. Everyone gets incredibly tight, and will pretty much either fold or go all-in, to try and hit big, so ofcourse you'll get sucked out if you dont get your cards.

At that level its usually heads up! At most 3 players. Party is a lot different, must just be my expiriences.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you need to bluff more often to beat these games and move these tight players off their hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

I laughed out loud when I read this.

No. They aren't folding. And that's a good thing.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:05 PM

They were folding there, 7 players at level 5? Thats 150-300 blinds?
Old 03-15-2005, 02:13 PM

I was talking in general.

That's a rare occurence that so many players last that long, even at the $100's, and I'm assuming the $100's aren't better than the $30's.

OP was talking about pushing people off hands, by which he seemed to be implying post flop. You'll find it very hard to push certain people off hands....they like to call.

Obviously, you should be stealing blinds more though.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:26 PM

I own the 33's...40% ITM, 30% ROI...it is insanely easy. This is the strategy.

Play as tight as possible until the blinds hit 50/100...should be around 7 players at this point. Sometimes more, sometimes less. By this time you should have around 1k in chips. Begin make subtle moves in late position when its been folded to you. Pump it to 3XBB w/ hands like ATo and KJo...maybe suited connectors, also small pairs. Pick up some blinds.

Once the blinds hit 100-200 you should have 5 or 6 players. Go absolutely bonkers from the second the blinds jump. Move all in constantly. I MEAN EVERY THIRD HAND IF THE OPPORTUNITY PRESENTS ITSELF!!! If folded to you, or if you are UTG...move in with any two cards if the people in the blinds have 800-1400 in chips. If they have more or less than this, proceed with caution.

This will do one of two things:

1: Make you the chip leader or a serious contender by the time you are 3-handed

or

2: Bust you out somewhat prematurely. This happens but its more than made up for by your increased win-rate.

Thats basically it. Continue the maniac style 3-handed AND heads up. You'll amass a huge stack and when you are called...you'll suckout more than you think

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Good luck!

Degen
Old 03-16-2005, 01:09 AM

Degen:

I'm new to the SitNGo forum so give me a break and tell me if you're being serious or facetious.

Thanks.

Maybe I should ask everyone else instead of you?
Old 03-17-2005, 02:51 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

all the big winners here know the answer to your question

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2005, 03:00 PM

I played 22 and 33 and have moved up to 54. I noticed ZERO difference in skill level from 22 to 54.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I played 22 and 33 and have moved up to 54. I noticed ZERO difference in skill level from 22 to 54.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has got to be a joke. Play a bunch more of the 55's and you'll see that they'll smack you in the ass on the bubble more than the 22's. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]