Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Is there ever a right time - or is this just stupid?

We are late in the 33+rebuy WSOP tournament on poker stars. Down to 28 people. 18th gets 350, 3-17 get 650 (or maybe it was 850 - it doesn't matter), 2nd and 1st get the entry + 1000 spending cash.

The blinds are 1.5k, 3k with an ante of 100 (or maybe it was 75 ante). In the past orbit (or maybe it was 2 orbits) I have shoved my stack in 3 times pre-flop because I was shortstacked and I'm pushing big hands. Since I've been at this table it's been folded around to the SB 3 times while I was in the BB and each time he raised it 2.5xBB and each time I folded like a girl.

So that's the scenario. Also, my chip stack is about 42k and the SB's chipstack is about 75k so although I'm not doing horrible I need to chip up.

I'm BB with K9o. It's folded to the SB who makes it 7k. I push all-in.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Is there ever a right time - or is this just stupid?

you have 11BB here, i re-raise but don't push.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:23 PM

im gonna guess he called and was ahead of you.
im gonna further guess he had AA, KK, maybe QQ, maybe AK
just a guess [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2005, 01:31 PM

There isn't much he will call you with, that doesn't have you dominated, or even equal. At best you are looking at medium PP, at worst, AA or AK. I think a call, and see what the flop show ups. but most likely a fold, the blinds aren't that big, and I am sure you might want to see more hands and go all in on another/better hand. At least the Big stack is on your right. Folding I say.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:24 PM

Why raise? and to what amount and if he goes over the top then what?

I think everyone has kind of missed the point of my post which was more of a general question of when to play back at your opponent in this type of blind steal situation or if you shouldn't bother. I don't think my exact hand matters a lot here... when you consider the general nature of my question.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im gonna guess he called and was ahead of you.
im gonna further guess he had AA, KK, maybe QQ, maybe AK
just a guess

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you are wrong with your guesses. I don't really know what the point of your post was though.

I'm looking at this from an overall tournament strategy perspective of a resteal and do I need the goods to go for this resteal attempt or is this a specific situation where my specific cards don't matter much.

I'm trying to figure out if there is ever a right time to make a play like this and further trying to figure out what criteria need to be met for this play to be correct.

I made this play as I thought there was a very very high chance my opponent would fold. I figured there was a huge chance he was on a pure steal with a garbage hand and couldn't take the heat. This is what I'm trying to get at here.

In the actual hand my opponent did call (rather quickly) with AJo and I lost.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There isn't much he will call you with, that doesn't have you dominated, or even equal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah, I think this is pretty obvious and it's the may reason I made the play. The range of hands in question is a very small subset of the total range of hands my opponent could have in this situation (at least I think it is).

[ QUOTE ]
At best you are looking at medium PP, at worst, AA or AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

At best I am looking at K2o and he folds and I take the chips and move on with the tournament in a better spot then I was previously at.

The point of the play was to make him fold. I was kind of thinking that my cards didn't matter much in this spot as I have noted in my prior responses above this one.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:09 PM

I like this play. If you are going to raise, you have to push. Since the SB has been raising like this every time, he may not have much. You also want to discourage him and others from stealing your blind. I think the SB will call with a lot of hands, but he will fold junk, which might be what he has. This isn't too bad a hand to make a move like this with, but I would rather have a suited connector or gapper if I didn't have a real hand.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This isn't too bad a hand to make a move like this with, but I would rather have a suited connector or gapper if I didn't have a real hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been thinking about this a little as well. I do believe that to make this play you want some hope of winning the pot when you are called and thus I think suited connectorish hands are a good choice. I think the K9o that I choice is not a terrible choice as well, but I also think that maybe I should have waited and not forced the play so much.

I also think that to make this play requires a certain ratio of chip / stack to blind size and also your opponent has to have a reasonable chipstack that is not huge. But what do I know. I posted this to get feedback on the play as I don't consider myself a good tournament player and I am sick of finishing "close".
Old 03-15-2005, 06:47 PM

how tight has the OPP been to reraises? I would imagine he would call with quite a bit of hands there. If opp is pretty fishy I call and play a flop in position, a push isnt terrible though.