Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2005, 02:53 AM

Default Pokertracker has rated me tight-aggresive-passive?

When i first started playing and had only read WLLH and ITH i was TP-P a rock. I have since read SSH and after a few thousand hands Im am now TA-P. So i take it this is an improvement, I am winning more but with more swings I take it this is due to my increased agression pre-flop.

However It says im tight aggresive passive, im not fully sure i understand what this means? As far as i can make out this means im not yet aggressive enough post flop. But i find it difficult to see where im missing the aggression about. I mean usualy against the type of plays im normaly up against if i have a good hand and show alot of aggression they would normaly all fold and if they are betting away it normaly means they have a hand. So in hands if i am not sure im ahead but i see it through to the river, if the other player checks id usualy check also in fear of a check raise unless i im actually ahead and he is just calling me down. This is the only real leak in agrestion i can see. although i have read SSH im not fully applying 100% of it yet. But i do always bet for value and try to protect my hands and steal blinds .
Old 03-15-2005, 03:34 AM

Default Re: Pokertracker has rated me tight-aggresive-passive?

You are calling too much after the flop. You need to raise or fold a lot of the hands you are currently calling with.

I'm working on the same problem.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:36 AM

are you a girl? cos i wouldnt want to f.uck a girl whos tight and passive
Old 03-15-2005, 08:57 AM

Tight-agressive Passive idiot! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean usualy against the type of plays im normaly up against if i have a good hand and show alot of aggression they would normaly all fold...

[/ QUOTE ]

What limits are you playing at? If they're low limits, I find this hard to believe. A good number of players will call down with any pair. If what you say is truly the case (people are respecting your aggression too much), you need to bluff/semi-bluff people out of pots more. But I'm skeptical that this is what's really happening.

[ QUOTE ]
and if they are betting away it normaly means they have a hand

[/ QUOTE ]

So? If you're playing fairly tightly, don't you have some kind of hand a decent percentage of the time you're in a pot?

[ QUOTE ]
So in hands if i am not sure im ahead but i see it through to the river, if the other player checks id usualy check also in fear of a check raise unless i im actually ahead and he is just calling me down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting/raising is not about getting money in when you're ahead. It's about betting when you have the best of it; that is, you expect to win more than your fair share of hands. When you're ahead, certainly you have the best of it so you should try to extract bets from people, but you can bet when you're behind too. For instance, if you're looking at a flop with four other players and expect to win 25% of the time, you can bet if you think they will all call. Sure, you lose your bet 75% of the time but you make it all back (and more) when you win the rest of the time.

Aggression, employed in the proper situations, also increases your winning chances by knocking players out, buying you free cards, gaining information, etc... I think Theory of Poker has a section on the different purposes of raising.

It sounds like you're playing weak-tight which is the same thing PokerTracker is telling you. While I doubt everyone always folds to your aggression (some people just don't pay attention), I can see why you might not get paid off as well as you could with your good hands. You're too predictable; you bet when ahead, check/call when behind. It becomes easy to see when you have a hand, when you're on draws, when your draws come in, and the like. Don't try to get money into the pot only when you are clearly ahead; try to get money into the pot when you have any advantage in equity.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:03 PM

What's your actual post-flop af? Are you using the default poker tracker ratings? Are the hands before you changed your game included in your stats?
Old 03-15-2005, 01:03 PM

Radio,

What is your aggression rating w/o pre-flop numbers?
Old 03-15-2005, 01:25 PM

I too was TP-P after my bout with WLLHE and it wasn't long after reading SSHE I became a TA-P also. The tight preflop number wasn't difficult as I was around the high end of 11% already. Learning with WLLHE really didn't allow me to become loose. But now I'm struggling to get my VP$IP over 13%.

My PFR pre-SSHE was only around 2-3%. I would only raised with HUGE hands. My AF was non-existent as I called down many hands, tossed away TPWK to reraises, didn't value-raise my big draws, and would fold to "monsters under the bed" way too many times.

Currently overall though, I'm shown as an Eagle, TA-N. Since I finally had enough chutzpah after reading SSHE and realizing WHY I should be raising more, to get my PFR over 6%. My AF are just shy of 2.5, but I'm s-l-o-w-l-y getting it up there.

Here are a few things you may want to check out for yourself, since your story and mine are so close to each other. These are thearea's where I'm really starting to concentrate on and they may be something you might want to look at as well:

1) Looking for more hands, in position, to get involved with. (Raise my VP)

2) Playing one table instead of two and three, so as to get a better 'read' on my opponents. (Raise my VP. Deciding when to get in on a hand instead of auto-mucking to a 'now known' middle pair, weak player.)

3) Raising to isolate the above players and clean up any outs behind me. (Increasing my PFR and AF and hopefully my BB/100)

4) Biggest area of all... Learning how and when to value bet the river. (I SUCK here. Checking when I should be betting to gain extra bets, and betting only to get raised to cost me bets. This alone would improve my BB/100 drastically.

Also check your WTSD numbers. Mine is around 28%, so I'm folding possible winners to bluffs. (Folding TP to a runner-runner 100% of the time ain't right!)

Good luck to you. I know I have work ahead of me!
Old 03-15-2005, 01:28 PM

I have recently started using poker tracker and have about 8K hands. Where does it tell you if you are week-tight, tight aggressive or loose etc.. I think I am a tight whimp but not sure. My pre flop raise is just under 6% my total aggression factor is about .9 with pre flop #s. Where do you find the info?
Old 03-15-2005, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have recently started using poker tracker and have about 8K hands. Where does it tell you if you are week-tight, tight aggressive or loose etc.. I think I am a tight whimp but not sure. My pre flop raise is just under 6% my total aggression factor is about .9 with pre flop #s. Where do you find the info?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have the thread bookmarked, but do a search for player auto-rating in pokertracker made by bisonbison. It's very popular around here.

TP-P is Tight preflop < 20%; Passive preflop raising < 5%; and an Agg Factor < 1.5.

bison's post runs through loose/passives to tight/aggressives and many in between. Yoiu can set up PT to auto-rate based upon these set rules.

EDIT: Found it... http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...mp;sb=5&o=