Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2005, 02:22 AM

Default Courage or folly?

This hand is actually from a multi, but it was the first hand, so there are no significant strategy differences from a SNG. Blinds 15/30, 1500 chips total. I'm UTG with TT. I decide to limp and go for set/overpair value. 4 others limp ahead of me, then the CO raises to 200. My thought: "Overbet. A clear steal. He doesn't want callers."

The BB thinks for a LONG time, then calls. My thought: "Good hand, but not a big pair or he'd have reraised."

I push.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:05 AM

Default Re: Courage or folly?

Anyone?
Old 03-15-2005, 04:07 AM

I was going to post but didnt like my response. I don't like it for some reason. Just seems like you are pushing a pretty thin edge here, if any edge at all. Also I don't assume that because someone raises to 200 on the button after a bunch of limpers that they are "stealing".
Old 03-15-2005, 04:12 AM

I know nothing about MTT strategy, but if it is like a STT, that 200 bet doesn't strike me as nearly the overbet with a whole triage ward full of limpers as it would with just you in the pot. Since you're next to act with four behind you, I say fold. Just because he doesn't want callers doesn't mean it's bad for you not to call. It's probably one of those situations that's +$EV for everyone not involved in the hand.

Slim
Old 03-15-2005, 04:13 AM

Yeah thinking of it as an overbet, clear steal, is just misguided. With that many limpers, my typical raise there is 200. I didn't realize it looks like a steal to everyone!

Btw what site has 15-30 blinds to start off the tournament?
Old 03-15-2005, 04:14 AM

a corageous folly...i'd fold, its way too early to be putting all your chips in on a coin flip...granted there is a chance he has an underpair...but still FAR too early for such a gamble...is 2X avg stack really worth that much to you at this point?

something tells me if this were the WSOP you'd have made a different play...but as it was a low buy-in (i'm assuming) online tourney you decided to gamboool

GIMME YOUR BLINDS!
Old 03-15-2005, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah thinking of it as an overbet, clear steal, is just misguided. With that many limpers, my typical raise there is 200.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the player pool. On this site, it's most often a steal, especially in multis. Players on this site are much less wild than Party.

There are a couple of other factors at work here. First, the site has a "bet the pot" button, which most people use with a real hand here. Second, the site's slider wouldn't produce a bet of 200, as it goes up in BB increments. So the guy had to type in the 200 bet. In my experience, an overbet that's typed in is frequently a steal, especially when it's a round number. It's a major tell. If the bet were 180, I'd have been much less inclined to play back.

[ QUOTE ]

I didn't realize it looks like a steal to everyone!

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it does to everyone. It did to me, though [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Btw what site has 15-30 blinds to start off the tournament?

[/ QUOTE ]

Full Tilt.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:22 AM

With no limpers I'd raise to 90 on the button, for every new limper I will add about 30 to my raise, which makes 200 the normal amount. Also I generally round off as well, so if I had a raising hand here, it would often be to exactly 200.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

With no limpers I'd raise to 90 on the button, for every new limper I will add about 30 to my raise, which makes 200 the normal amount. Also I generally round off as well, so if I had a raising hand here, it would often be to exactly 200.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't doubt this at all. I'm just going with what I know about players on this site in general. If you were sitting on the SB, I'd probably be in trouble. (Of course I'd probably also have a red-flag on your name and would be less likely to make this move [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )
Old 03-15-2005, 04:41 AM

What would you do if you were small blind in this situation and were holding JJ....I'd likely think a while...and then call. I fold my T's here.